• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

This is old, but appropriate
EIvI47jX0AAYyY1

Isotherm's winter outlook is now up: http://www.lightinthestorm.com/

Hint: Mods, delete my post before someone clicks the link and jumps out the window. :(

LOL...well this guy is really good so that's scary he came up with this. That has to be the warmest winter pattern for the SE. With the consensus looking like Dec will torch we will have to wait until mid-January to really know if we will have any chance at a good back half.

LOL...well this guy is really good so that's scary he came up with this. That has to be the warmest winter pattern for the SE. With the consensus looking like Dec will torch we will have to wait until mid-January to really know if we will have any chance at a good back half.
Yes. He is very good what he does .. I put a lot faith in his cast ... hopefully he is correct part me wants it to Be correct. At least ...

As stated earlier he was way off last year. I do agree December will be warmer then avg and January will be as well for the first half. I think February and March will be our only hope to not repeat last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As stated earlier he was way off last year. I do agree December will be warmer then avg and January will be as well for the first half. I think February and March will be our only hope to not repeat last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems though when winter forecasts are wrong they are wrong when calling for snowy/cold in the east. When was the last winter where the consensus was for a AN winter in the east and it ended up being BN. Winter of 2015 was called fairly well, back half weak nino. 2014 was called pretty well too, if I recall. Then you have to go all the way back to 2010 and 2011 for the previous BN winters in the E/SE. I know 2010 was called cold/snowy by most.

It seems though when winter forecasts are wrong they are wrong when calling for snowy/cold in the east. When was the last winter where the consensus was for a AN winter in the east and it ended up being BN. Winter of 2015 was called fairly well, back half weak nino. 2014 was called pretty well too, if I recall. Then you have to go all the way back to 2010 and 2011 for the previous BN winters in the E/SE. I know 2010 was called cold/snowy by most.

I may be wrong, but I remember most calling for torch city the 2013-2014 winter.

I'm not sure any of it relates to the skill of any particular long range forecaster. I mean look at the map I did earlier. I didn't use a bunch of elite meteorological terms or fancy analogue sets or any collegiate scrabble words or anything, and I'm probably going to be right. Not taking anything away from Isotherm's (or anyone else's efforts), but going with warm winter persistence, while sort of a cop-out forecast, is likely to turn out accurate. Going colder takes some grapefruits, because most of the time (especially these days) you're just going to flat out be wrong.

I may be wrong, but I remember most calling for torch city the 2013-2014 winter.

Isotherm's analog package was pretty good for that winter. I can't recall many that were blowtorch warm.

I'm not sure any of it relates to the skill of any particular long range forecaster. I mean look at the map I did earlier. I didn't use a bunch of elite meteorological terms or fancy analogue sets or any collegiate scrabble words or anything, and I'm probably going to be right. Not taking anything away from Isotherm's (or anyone else's efforts), but going with warm winter persistence, while sort of a cop-out forecast, is likely to turn out accurate. Going colder takes some grapefruits, because most of the time (especially these days) you're just going to flat out be wrong.

Agreed...6 out of past 8 were AN. You go AN every winter you will be right 75% of the time, which is pretty good. I do think we will have a BN winter coming up soon...in the next decade, I hope.

Agreed...6 out of past 8 were AN. You go AN every winter you will be right 75% of the time, which is pretty good. I do think we will have a BN winter coming up soon...in the next decade, I hope.
I'm really hoping the low solar component throws a monkey into the wrench that ends up confounding the warm forecasts.

I'm really hoping the low solar component throws a monkey into the wrench that ends up confounding the warm forecasts.

This to me is a good sign, Nov with this stout an Aleutian low. 2015, 2010, 2003.

Very different than 2019, 2007, 2005

But it seems like every winter we develop this false hope and it never materializes.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_10day-4251200.png

This to me is a good sign, Nov with this stout an Aleutian low. 2015, 2010, 2003.

Very different than 2019, 2007, 2005

But it seems like every winter we develop this false hope and it never materializes.

View attachment 25587
Thanks for posting that. I've noticed the Aleutian Low showing up a lot lately as well. Now, the latest model runs essentially go to pot in D10+ range wrt to the Aleutian Low and in the polar regions. I suspect we'll know in 2 or 3 weeks whether or not the AL will be a recurring feature of Winter 2019-2020.

What’s the GEFS going to do with that block end of the month into Dec

08DF4611-6D43-4351-AE3C-D7BD6BB013A6.png

Back