• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Yeah I've seen this on twitter as well, probably means a midwest arctic dump incoming.... I'm still waiting for a PV split to help us out. If there is one thing I've learned over the years is the last part of your statement "depending on placement". That seems to always be the caveat for us
Midwest Arctic dump...reminds me of last year. We barely got into the teens!

A lot of what we will see this year will remind us of last year. It's going to be very similar. No facts to back it up besides what I have seen with Analogs etc.
It's a step down process, in 10 years the placement will finally make it's way to a favorable location and the arctic will get dumped on us.... patience.

A lot of what we will see this year will remind us of last year. It's going to be very similar. No facts to back it up besides what I have seen with Analogs etc.
Overall, I'd agree. I expect a winter by and large similar to last year, but without the early December winter storm. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Southeast get shut out outside the mountains in December. Having two significant early December SE US storms in back-to-back years is extremely rare. However, I'd expect January/February to be at least marginally better, with maybe one winter storm in either month affecting much of this board. I think if you live north and west of I-85, you got a good shot at a big dog (6"+) this winter.

It's hard to disagree with most of the models on wall-to-wall warmth for the SE based on what happened last year. But the same models last year showed an epic winter that never verified.

Indexes and analogs of all kinds have failed us recently so the heck with all that, I'm going old times here. Acorns are plentiful and as big as I've ever seen, birds are gone (most of them), squirrels are stock piling and the goats cashmere undercoat is coming in nicely....I'm not talking all of the SE just locally and with that I'm preparing for a fun Winter. Bring it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I’m finding acorns all over my fence so maybe the little critters are expecting a cold winter :)

Overall, I'd agree. I expect a winter by and large similar to last year, but without the early December winter storm. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Southeast get shut out outside the mountains in December. Having two significant early December SE US storms in back-to-back years is extremely rare. However, I'd expect January/February to be at least marginally better, with maybe one winter storm in either month affecting much of this board. I think if you live north and west of I-85, you got a good shot at a big dog (6"+) this winter.

It's hard to disagree with most of the models on wall-to-wall warmth for the SE based on what happened last year. But the same models last year showed an epic winter that never verified.
By recent standards, a normal January would seem like an ice age ...

cdc620f2ae7d73d2bf39ccb8e6e57fcb.jpg

It’s happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solar for the win:

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 25 days
2019 total: 224 days (74%)
2018 total: 221 days (61%)
2017 total: 104 days (28%)
2016 total: 32 days (9%)
2015 total: 0 days (0%)
2014 total: 1 day (<1%)
2013 total: 0 days (0%)
2012 total: 0 days (0%)
2011 total: 2 days (<1%)
2010 total: 51 days (14%)
2009 total: 260 days (71%)
2008 total: 268 days (73%)
2007 total: 152 days (42%)
2006 total: 70 days (19%)

Updated 28 Oct 2019

I’m finding acorns all over my fence so maybe the little critters are expecting a cold winter :)
You know what's so funny..... here we are in the year 2019 and we don't have any more of an idea concerning what this winter has in store than we would if we were in the 1950's. Heck, we might as well go back to looking at woolly worms, counting corn shucks, and watching acorns fall. Shoot, we can't even be reliable at two weeks out when it comes to forecasting winter weather....... Modern technology at its' best.

You know what's so funny..... here we are in the year 2019 and we don't have any more of an idea concerning what this winter has in store than we would if we were in the 1950's. Heck, we might as well go back to looking at woolly worms, counting corn shucks, and watching acorns fall. Shoot, we can't even be reliable at two weeks out when it comes to forecasting winter weather....... Modern technology at its' best.
It's God and/or nature ... neither or either can be modeled ... :oops: ... just try and understand ... best we can do ... :cool:

9b805bac7f95e715cfd7575af65e2679.jpg

Looks like I’m not the only one who thinks this year and last year are on repeat. #ATeam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If my #1 son can't fly over from Tokyo for Christmas this year ... then this year will not be a repeat of the past 2 ... :(

Back