• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

The SAI predicts PV behavior in winter and AO. Not your specific weather in Bodunk, SC. A wild PV disruption could just as easily give middle Asia a cold winter, and not the Eastern US.
Thanks for your input. But I only care about my weather in Podunk SC just like you only care about yours in Podunk TN. Its every man for himself in winter?

The only way I would be intrigued by a SSW event would be if I lived in the upper Great Plains. Other than that, meh. Click bait
Have to agree here. SSWs are fun to theorize about and can deliver to the SE but they can just as easily obliterate the pv and send it into Asia, Alaska, Europe and we get very little help.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Have to agree here. SSWs are fun to theorize about and can deliver to the SE but they can just as easily obliterate the pv and send it into Asia, Alaska, Europe and we get very little help.

Or even dump all the cold in the Pacific Ocean, and everybody torches!

For the last several years those have turned out as worthless as Cohens SAI. ?
I'm hanging my hat on finally getting a -NAO. If we finally do and still find a way to torch I'm throwing my paws up for good. There literally will be nothing left after that.

I wouldn't hang my hat on it. The -NAO is doing us absolutely no good atm because we're torching w/ a healthy, classic -NAO. The upstream Pacific pattern matters more here.
ecmwf-ens_z500aMean_namer_1.png

I just wait for a simple miller B setup with a cad, doesn’t wark for y’all south of 85, but it has several times for me, every man for himself
The coldest/deepest CAD events tend to deliver to Charlotte & the SW Piedmont. Feb 12-13 2014 & Dec 15-18 1930 are the most classic examples w/ 8-10" of snow/sleet before an eventual changeover to ZR.

February 12-13 2014 NC Snowmap.gif

December 15-18 1930 NC Snowmap.png

PV splits can be good for us too, but it always seems like the colder lobe is on the other side of the globe. I love looking at SSW’s and their analogs and seeing how they’ll shake out, but 9 times out of 10 it does nothing for us...and recent history tells us that. Seems like SSWs were much more influential for the NA winter before the 2000’s and maybe the early 2000s. It appears other drivers are influencing the outcomes these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PV splits can be good for us too, but it always seems like the colder lobe is on the other side of the globe. I love looking at SSW’s and their analogs and seeing how they’ll shake out, but 9 times out of 10 it does nothing for us...and recent history tells us that. Seems like SSWs were much more influential for the NA winter before the 2000’s and maybe the early 2000s. It appears other drivers are influencing the outcomes these days.

It's your season! Welcome back home, Jon!
Phil

Thanks! I’m ready. Even if it’s above normal temperatures as the mean, there’s still plenty of storms to track which is what we’re all here for! Cheers and let’s hope it’s a good one!

If you scour around, you may realize you're gonna be busy at the dispensary this next couple of weeks ... or more ... :eek:

Indexes and analogs of all kinds have failed us recently so the heck with all that, I'm going old times here. Acorns are plentiful and as big as I've ever seen, birds are gone (most of them), squirrels are stock piling and the goats cashmere undercoat is coming in nicely....I'm not talking all of the SE just locally and with that I'm preparing for a fun Winter. Bring it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Indexes and analogs of all kinds have failed us recently so the heck with all that, I'm going old times here. Acorns are plentiful and as big as I've ever seen, birds are gone (most of them), squirrels are stock piling and the goats cashmere undercoat is coming in nicely....I'm not talking all of the SE just locally and with that I'm preparing for a fun Winter. Bring it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Heck, I'm sneezing up a storm ... aiming my head SE for each, just to bear down on that ridge ...

In all seriousness, the dadgum Japanese Magnolias are blooming ... always the 1st to pop after the last freeze ... Hummm ...

Lots of chat on the PV today.
Found this tweet from HM interesting. Any ideas on what he’s getting at? I would think an elongated look of the PV could be of benefit to the US and us here in the Southeast depending on placement.

F1A75CCA-A686-4E01-BA4F-279E1B410B65.png022EAC38-A164-4189-BA63-5FD0231299F4.jpeg

Lots of chat on the PV today.
Found this tweet from HM interesting. Any ideas on what he’s getting at? I would think an elongated look of the PV could be of benefit to the US and us here in the Southeast depending on placement.

View attachment 24974View attachment 24975
Yeah I've seen this on twitter as well, probably means a midwest arctic dump incoming.... I'm still waiting for a PV split to help us out. If there is one thing I've learned over the years is the last part of your statement "depending on placement". That seems to always be the caveat for us

Yeah I've seen this on twitter as well, probably means a midwest arctic dump incoming.... I'm still waiting for a PV split to help us out. If there is one thing I've learned over the years is the last part of your statement "depending on placement". That seems to always be the caveat for us

And keep in mind that HM is in the NE US where the population is very high, which means his primary focus is likely the NE US. Regardless, I usually have trouble following what he's saying. I'd prefer a met talk in simpler terms that I can follow.

And keep in mind that HM is in the NE US where the population is very high, which means his primary focus is likely the NE US. Regardless, I usually have trouble following what he's saying. I'd prefer a met talk in simpler terms that I can follow.
Agreed
FB64E5B7-4396-4FC1-B656-3F8F43DEC6F9.jpeg
-Ollie Williams

Back