• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

If I'm looking at the records right, it looks like it's been nearly 15 years since Charlotte had at least 5" of snow from a single storm.

If I'm looking at the records right, it looks like it's been nearly 15 years since Charlotte had at least 5" of snow from a single storm.

That is not correct. February 2014 had more then 5 inches in Charlotte from that storm. I remember I had 9 to 10 inches of snow over at my apartment.

Attachments

• accum.20140213.gif
    accum.20140213.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 53
That is not correct. February 2014 had more then 5 inches in Charlotte from that storm. I remember I had 9 to 10 inches of snow over at my apartment.
Ok what I was looking at was showing the most snow in a single day. So Charlotte has not had more than 5" in a single day since 2004.

Ok what I was looking at was showing the most snow in a single day. So Charlotte has not had more than 5" in a single day since 2004.
That is correct if you are looking at daily snowfall total at the charlotte airport. February 2014 was close with 4.7 inches.

Winter cancel
768aecc067f37ae8b6d7a009e8696a0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the -AAM, which is normally associated with La Nina, doesn't go away by winter, would that mean a stubborn SE ridge this winter, which has been the case this month, despite El Nino? If so, folks such as Phil, Stormsfury, and myself would have a much lower chance for a cold winter relative to normal. The warm nearby Atlantic and Gulf could aid in this although hopefully not.
So, would a continued -AAM mean a good chance of a sharp contrast over the SE with coldest relative to normals with coldest near Memphis and warmest in FL/near SE coast? Does anyone have a link to an AAM history table by month?

Edit: Looking at DJF temperature anomalies, the only El Ninos I found with what looks like the warmest SE US anomalies being near the SE coast and in FL were 1958-9, 1972-3, 2006-7, and 2014-5. Did any of these have a dominant -AAM despite El Nino?

Edit #2: Regarding the stubborn SER, Nov will end it right at normal here and Phil will end up at least +2 it appears despite very cold places such as Memphis and Birm. and chilly places such as ATL and RDU. I'm not complaining though as normal Nov wx is quite pleasant.

Last edited:
The AAM is raging positive atm, excess westerly momentum is trying to move poleward into the mid-latitudes while easterly momentum dominates near the surf zone, a configuration that's favorable for high-latitude blocking, at least for now.
View attachment 7628

Thanks for this info. I had been thinking the AAM was still negative but I see on your graph that it actually switched in Oct to + and for the moment strongly + as you noted. That jibes much better with El Nino vs the - of Sept. Now, it will be interesting to see if the near Dateline OLR finally switches to negative soon, if it hasn't already done so this month. Oct still had +OLR, which was unprecedented back to 1976 for El Nino.

Last edited:
Back