• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

I pray we aren’t looking at this type of high pressure placement all winter..it will be a long depressing winter for MBY if that’s the case. It looks good on paper I guess but we need some cold air EAST!

Very true. That setup would suck for us here in SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pray we aren’t looking at this type of high pressure placement all winter..it will be a long depressing winter for MBY if that’s the case. It looks good on paper I guess but we need some cold air EAST!
Make that a 1045 high and we’ll do ok.

Don’t look at the 12z gfs

tenor.gif

It looks like it tries to drop the -nao late run and then tank the EPO
ea2cbc78835ab870cb4842c3de80e478.png

Probably the area from NC/TN/VA and north. Climo would favor that over anything. Plus, the lower heights in the SW still bother me. I'd also like to see those blue areas slightly farther south.

Yeah, it just looks like most of the cold is on the other side of the earth. We stay cool. What do we need to see at H5 to get it on our side?

gfs-ens_T2ma_nhem_62.png

Yeah, it just looks like most of the cold is on the other side of the earth. We stay cool. What do we need to see at H5 to get it on our side?

gfs-ens_T2ma_nhem_62.png
The north Pacific aint the best. It's allowing systems to move into Canada and not promoting cross-polar flow. -NAO values are nice, but you need a cold air feed to make the best use of it. But we're just spitballing over the GFS/GEFS. The Fake Version should be out soon and then the Euro. I'm not too worried about snow chances at the end of November anyway.

I just want to keep seeing the pattern transitioning to better chances for snow and not going the other way.

The north Pacific aint the best. It's allowing systems to move into Canada and not promoting cross-polar flow. -NAO values are nice, but you need a cold air feed to make the best use of it. But we're just spitballing over the GFS/GEFS. The Fake Version should be out soon and then the Euro. I'm not too worried about snow chances at the end of November anyway.

The longer it takes to establish the better, just as long as it gets going. The pac doesn't start improving until late in the run, hopefully as we get into December we can see the cold air start filtering back in.

Getting some solid height rises down into Hudson Bay.

GEFS_gif.gif

No me neither, I just want to look to see what we need down the line to get true cold. Even in the dead of January, 1-2 degrees below normal is not going to cut it in the SE.

The FV3 goes further that the GFS and looks like this. Yes that's a high dropping with established cold air in place. Let's get more fantasy maps and hope they trend closer too!
fv3p_T850_namer_65.png

fv3p_z500a_namer_65.png
Yeah that's a better look for sure. Hopefully, the upgrade is worth the wait. If you could delete that GOA low, it would be almost as good as it gets for cold. The -NAO is perfect. The low anomaly over the NE probably squashes storm chances, though. But that would be some nice cold air.

I guess even when we’re not punting a month and all the indices are best we’ve ever seen, Europe gets all the cold! We just keep finding ways to win! Win baby win!

Back