• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2017-18 discussion

I hope this doesn't cause mass cliff diving and other forms of suicide, if he means the winter that spanned 1971 into 1972 -

cd174.64.77.18.215.14.4.16.prcp.png
Bout what I expect this winter ... think got good chance to be even milder than last year's winter... I go into detail as we draw closer ....

I hope this doesn't cause mass cliff diving and other forms of suicide, if he means the winter that spanned 1971 into 1972 -

At the bottom of his post he said, "The first 2/3 of the winter were warmer than average and then the last 1/3 was colder than average."

But, that doesn't mean that we'll see an exact copy of 1971-72 winter.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

At the bottom of his post he said, "The first 2/3 of the winter were warmer than average and then the last 1/3 was colder than average."

But, that doesn't mean that we'll see an exact copy of 1971-72 winter.

OK - pick your poison

cd174.64.77.18.215.14.23.46.prcp.png

cd174.64.77.18.215.14.23.17.prcp.png

.... butttt ... it's way too far away for anyone to be seriously making a winter forecast; too many major players aren't going to even begin to come into focus for another 8 to 10 weeks, and even then, they'll be fuzzy until 12 or so, at least ...

Last edited:
I'll take Feb. to March since I'm in the -2.0 lol.

On a serious note: If I wanted to use an analog year, I'd wait till what this fall will have in store and go from there.

Precisely ;) ... and along that line, see edit to #43 which preceded your post, above ... :cool:

It will be funny if this winter ends up being well below average temps and above average snowfall. Really bothers me to use any analogs this far out in time, nothing wrong using analogs buy doesn't mean that there will copy as posted above. Past 2 years was horrible with winter so its not like were loosing anything we can only hope for the best.

It will be funny if this winter ends up being well below average temps and above average snowfall. Really bothers me to use any analogs this far out in time, nothing wrong using analogs buy doesn't mean that there will copy as posted above. Past 2 years was horrible with winter so its not like were loosing anything we can only hope for the best.
I agree. You can't use something that could change ahead of time and any one thing could change the entire result of the season as last year had it.

Sometimes I try to make a diplomatic point, without being blunt, and those composites were certainly one of those times ...

Despite preferring a cold winter, I actually would like to see a higher % of winter outlooks/analogs that aren't near normal or colder for a change as it makes the winter outlooks seem more objective. In a weird way, it is kind of refreshing. JB is far from the only one who likes to hug cold analogs. I've been guilty of using cold analogs, myself, at times though I back up my choice of analogs with what I feel is strongly supporting data and I haven't presented mainly cold analogs most winters, regardless. I might tend to be quiet and say less if analogs look warm, but I won't force in cold analogs when I don't feel they can be supported.

I think Eric was one of the few with a solid warm outlook for last winter if I'm not mistaken. Eric, assuming you read this post, is that correct? if so, mucho kudos! If JB were to go warm for much of the E US for a change and get it right, it would go a long way toward helping his credibility.

Despite preferring a cold winter, I actually would like to see a higher % of winter outlooks/analogs that aren't near normal or colder for a change as it makes the winter outlooks seem more objective. In a weird way, it is kind of refreshing. JB is far from the only one who likes to hug cold analogs. I've been guilty of using cold analogs, myself, at times though I back up my choice of analogs with what I feel is strongly supporting data and I haven't done this most winters. I might tend to be quiet and say less if analogs look warm, but I won't force in cold analogs when I don't feel they can be supported.

I think Eric was one of the few with a solid warm outlook for last winter if I'm not mistaken. Eric, assuming you read this post, is that correct? if so, mucho kudos! If JB were to go warm for much of the E US for a change and get it right, it would go a long way toward helping his credibility.
Larry,
Great post!
My only point (scroll down in that part of the thread) is that it's far too early to start analogueing or forecasting winter ... too many players are not yet on the field. Analogy - an SEC game and the FL QB is tossing bad in warmups an hour before kickoff - bad game to come, or does Vandy go down once the game starts?
Best ;),
Phil

Despite preferring a cold winter, I actually would like to see a higher % of winter outlooks/analogs that aren't near normal or colder for a change as it makes the winter outlooks seem more objective. In a weird way, it is kind of refreshing. JB is far from the only one who likes to hug cold analogs. I've been guilty of using cold analogs, myself, at times though I back up my choice of analogs with what I feel is strongly supporting data and I haven't presented mainly cold analogs most winters, regardless. I might tend to be quiet and say less if analogs look warm, but I won't force in cold analogs when I don't feel they can be supported.

Even if this winter ends up like last year, theres always a exciting chance or 2 for a southeast winterstorm. Like Charlie mention few months back, thats what makes it exciting living in the southeast, and late night model watching and you never know what may come.

Even if this winter ends up like last year, theres always a exciting chance or 2 for a southeast winterstorm. Like Charlie mention few months back, thats what makes it exciting living in the southeast, and late night model watching and you never know what may come.

Actually, the good news is last winter was sooooo ridiculously warm that the odds are very high this winter will be colder than last winter. This even includes if we have another warm winter! Even if warm, it is going to be very hard to get one as warm as last winter!

Also, I agree with you about the usual chance or two for a winter storm for most on this board even if not a cold winter. Actually, the fact that winter storms are so rare down here makes me like living here and looking forward to the rare wintry treat! It is the rarity of these that really makes me love them more than anything else.

Just for kicks, since we're on the train, let's see how this pans out and verifies in a month to 6 weeks, and maybe a point has been made, or not ... :cool:

CFSv2.Na_T2m.20170804.201709.gif

... although if Webb were to post or PM me and say that in Jan 2019 I'd have snow on the ground, I'd go with it ... ;)

Believe I'll pass on the 71/72 redo. We ended up with 2 inches for the winter. Couple of very cold and very warm spells in January followed by a warm February and bad warm March. Lowest temp for the whole month of March was 30.

While 1971-72 was a warm winter in NC, we still ended up seeing a big dog hit the southwestern piedmont and south-central mountains early in December and it managed to produce some decent snowfall further east across central NC.
December 3-4 1971 NC Snowmap.png

enso-neutral-composite1.jpg
Seems fair enough, ill take my chances on this pattern for our winter storms. Not a bad pattern.

Back