• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical TS Jerry

GFS isn't enthused about this storm's possible intensification (which I'd probably lean to being wrong) and the weakness left by Humberto should lead to a safely OTS.

*insert map that leads to me sighing about how the troughs that I'm seeing are not over us but I can't right now because my computer is acting screwy*

Edit: Wow, speak and the GFS delivers.

Last edited:
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry! Please bring us some rain!?

Better question is how are they finding FL winds at cat 3 strength already?

Yeah that was surprising, pressure dropped at least 6 MB during the mission as well and his appearance has improved quite a bit.....though still not exactly looking that great....

I can't wait till Happy Hour for Jerry.
EDIT: Seems to be they are loading it now.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_17.png

When looking at the 11AM-5 PM movement, he moved a pretty decent amount to the right of the NHC track, 0.2 W for every 0.1N instead of the projected 0.3W for every 0.1N.

The 11 AM NHC track had him at 17.5N, 56.5W as of 8 PM. But at 5 PM, he was already up to 17.5 N while still only at 55.8 W. So, at 5 PM, he was a whopping 0.7 east of where he was projected to be by the 11 AM advisory when reaching 17.5 N. This has to be good news for those wanting a safe recurve from the CONUS. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this. My feeling of a 90% chance of no CONUS hit may be raised soon to the 95% area if this right of NHC track continues much longer. The only thing going against a safe recurve are the 6 of 51 (12%) 12Z Euro ens showing a CONUS hit, which is similar to the two prior runs. So that small minority is persisting for the time being. Regardless, they're highly likely to be very wrong just like those Euro ens members looping Humberto back to the US after earlier moving off the SE US coast a few hundred miles. And keep in mind there were THREE Euro ens runs with as much as 25-30% turning Humberto around and hitting the US. In this case, it is only 12%. I currently feel they're wait out to lunch.

Hot off the press: the Happy Hour ICON is well NE of the 12Z run suggesting the 12Z was a fluke run.

Edit: Happy Hour GFS is a little to the right of the 12Z. The fat lady wants to sing and I don't blame her because I'm seeing no trends in the hit CONUS direction, but it is still a bit too early for that imo.

Last edited:
I'll say the organization isn't too bad now, but the wind difference is bad. SW quadrant barely hits TD until a short distance from the eye and then in the NE quadrant there's cat 3 FL winds with possible cat 2 surface winds.

18Z EPS 144 (end of run): still has a small minority in a potentially dangerous position though not as small as 12Z and 0Z fwiw:

18Z 144:
D77D1E06-0D84-4E0D-B3D2-19ABD7F218A3.png

12Z 150:
ABB31724-0E6D-4CCF-B7C2-6141E208969C.png

0Z 162:
C1AF1A92-52CB-47E9-9976-D306AF3D3FAB.png

Even though it remains a small minority, the EPS won't stop hitting FL with TCs. On the 0Z EPS, I count ~5 FL plus one other one that hits TX. So, ~6 CONUS hits or ~12%.

Last edited:
Back