• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Helene

16-20 for the southern escarpment. That’s not good.
This is Ground Zero-B for major destruction. Ground Zero-A is the coastal Counties at landfall, But SW NC/North Ga Mountains are gonna get their worst hit in my lifetime from a Tropical entity. a Foot plus of Rain over 24 hr period in that terrain will turn catastrophic. There are like 19 peaks in the Smoky Mtns at or above (barely) 6,000 feet.

This is Ground Zero-B for major destruction. Ground Zero-A is the coastal Counties at landfall, But SW NC/North Ga Mountains are gonna get their worst hit in my lifetime from a Tropical entity. a Foot plus of Rain over 24 hr period in that terrain will turn catastrophic. There are like 19 peaks in the Smoky Mtns at or above (barely) 6,000 feet.
I agree with you somewhat, but you are discarding the massive Atlanta metro, 7.5 million, this could be ground Zero-B.

Man, the first wide area visible presentation of this massive storm is awe-inspiring and concerning at the same time.

Typical, I get weenies and foolishness. This could damage major infrastructure; The mountains are basically sparsely populated.
Atlanta is on the NW side of most of the model guidance. You know how this works, right? The NW side is the side you want to be on. I'm not saying that Atlanta wont have any issues but I dont think they are currently facing what East Georgia/NW SC/WNC are going to face. That isnt even to mention the orographic lift and enhancement of wind that'll come with terrain.

Atlanta is on the NW side of most of the model guidance. You know how this works, right? The NW side is the side you want to be on. I'm not saying that Atlanta wont have any issues but I dont think they are currently facing what East Georgia/NW SC/WNC are going to face. That isnt even to mention the orographic lift and enhancement of wind that'll come with terrain.
doesn't the NHC have the center going directly over Atlanta ?

South and east facing slopes will double the rainfall totals of Atlanta area. Plus the fact that terrain promotes mudslides and the higher elevation pokes into to the stronger elevated wind field. The mountains will be ground zero outside of the immediate coast.

What is this? NWS CAE attaches contradictory images on the same post. They call for 1.5-2 inches in the same areas where NOAA calls for 4-6 in the same post. It's clear the models are shifting west and that's why the totals are dropping and the low amounts will probably verify. But that's a very contradictory post
View attachment 151740
The center has only shifted slightly to the west. Impacts are staying the same becaus of the size. GSP has updated since CAE posted this and it's still looking like this.

1727268054129.png

Back