• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical TS Helene

It looks like the 0Z Euro has the center crossing Gwinnett County. The distance from landfall position to E of ATL is ~250 miles and it gets there in only 9 hours. That works out to an average of a whopping 28 mph, among the fastest on record for that area! To compare, the very fast moving Opal averaged no more than ~25 mph. Eloise of 1975, which also brought damaging winds well inland to W GA, averaged at ~29 mph.

PRE is gradually starting to set up across AL/GA ahead of Helene. Also I noticed in their app that TWC has gotten more aggressive on the rainfall totals here. 8-12 inches from tomorrow through Thursday night. Not anything that wasn’t a likely possibility, but compared to when I checked this morning I don’t think they were forecasting even half of that. https://radar.weather.gov/?settings...jYWxTdGF0aW9ucyI6MC44LCJuYXRpb25hbCI6MC42fX0=

It looks like the 0Z Euro has the center crossing Gwinnett County. The distance from landfall position to E of ATL is ~250 miles and it gets there in only 9 hours. That works out to an average of a whopping 28 mph, among the fastest on record for that area! To compare, the very fast moving Opal averaged no more than ~25 mph. Eloise of 1975, which also brought damaging winds well inland to W GA, averaged at ~29 mph.
That track would put Lake Lanier on the NE edge of the eye.

Back