• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

While the RMM index shows the MJO entering the west Pacific in early January, it's not that simple:

What we're really about to see are multiple fast moving convectively coupled kelvin waves projecting onto & interfering with low frequency variability associated w/ the +IOD & ENSO. This also means the downstream pattern over North America will differ considerably from the expected response during West Pacific MJO events.

View attachment 28622
January is the month for us

Yea time start the jamming January thread up... this month is toast ...
I think a January thread should be created as well. I'm not expecting any severe cold or winter storms for the remaining days of this month. I don't think the January thread should be titled "Jammin January" though because we already had a January thread that was titled that. Perhaps it could be titled Jackpot January?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I think a January thread should be created as well. I'm not expecting any severe cold or winter storms for the remaining days of this month. I don't think the January thread should be titled "Jammin January" though because we already had a January thread that was titled that. Perhaps it could be titled Jackpot January?

It's a little early. I'd say we wait until Christmas for making next month. It'll be nothing but speculation until we get into actual model range.

The 06z GFS suppressed our New Year storm. I think it's still possible that there could be a winter storm come the New Year. Watching that baroclinic zone on the tail end of the boundry from the late month cutting system. This is still a good ways out, so expect many changes. Models should have a better idea on this by mid to late week next week as the time period closes in on the 5-7 day window.
8b7d821ac204641147997b03cfea5198.jpg

HM suggesting a snowy January in his neck of the woods. Not sure what that’ll mean for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some basic definitions you can pull from the first link, I've added some of my own discussion in this first half of this post.

The global wind oscillation (GWO) took me a while to wrap my head around but the GWO at its core just atmospheric angular momentum & the tendency of atmospheric angular momentum, or the rate of change over time thus:

Global Wind Oscillation (GWO) = Atmospheric Angular Momentum (AAM) + Change in Atmospheric Angular Momentum per unit time (t).

The GWO thus encompasses phenomena like Convectively Coupled Kelvin Waves, the MJO, mountain & frictional torques, & even the El Nino Southern Oscillation to some extent. Why? Because all of these significantly impact AAM on timescales of several days to several weeks which is what we're mainly concerned about from a subseasonal standpoint.

Mountain & frictional torques operate on timescales of roughly several days to 2-3 weeks or so and are closely tied to variability in the extratropical storm track. A Rossby Wave (or mid-latitude cyclone or anticyclone) passing over major topographic features like the Rockies or Himalayas is what actually causes mountain torques. The resulting patterns from these mountain torques create Atmospheric Angular Momentum (AAM) anomalies and frictional torques then act to damp or weaken these anomalies.

This post goes very in depth on Atmospheric Angular Momentum & does a better job explaining than I personally would be able to:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/top...ular-momentum/?do=findComment&comment=3907466

Angular momentum at its most basic level is a combination of the mass or weight of an object, how fast that object is rotating & the distance from its rotational axis.

I.e. Angular momentum = Mass + Rotational Speed + Distance (from axis of rotation).

Once you also consider that the earth system is relatively closed and therefore the total momentum of the earth system is just the summation of the solid earth angular momentum plus atmospheric angular momentum and must always be conserved

Total momentum = AAM + Momentum of Solid Earth

Change in momentum (M) over time (t) w/ change in time represented by "dt"

i.e. (M/dt) >>> AAM/dt + Earth Momentum/dt = 0

Hence, variations in one of these dictate the other. If AAM rises, as is often the case during El Nino events or West Pacific & Western Hemisphere MJO events or as we are going to see over the coming weeks, the earth's solid rotation will slow down in response (actually causes very minute changes to our length of day!) and frictional torques will act to try and weaken these AAM anomalies!

Torque: " "A turning force" that increases the angular momentum of the atmosphere creating a positive torque, one that decreases the angular momentum of the earth is a negative torque."

Mountain torque: "Mountain Torque is a function of pressure and orography and is the ‘turning force’ exerted due to a difference in pressure across any raised surface on the earth, but most significantly, mountains or mountain massifs. Consider a mountain with a high pressure on the west side of a mountain and low pressure on the east. The pressure system will exert an eastward torque that causes the earth to increase it’s rate of rotation, imparting angular momentum from the atmosphere to the solid earth. The opposite case, where there is higher pressure on the east side of the mountain, will slow the earth’s rotation down, reducing the solid earth’s angular momentum, and imparting it to the atmosphere. "

Frictional torque: "The friction torque is the torque that is exerted on the earth’s surface due to the frictional force that occurs because of the wind directly above the Earth’s surface moving relative to the solid earth. If there is an net global westerly surface wind (i.e. a surface wind from the west) the atmosphere will speed the earth’s rotation up, transfer angular momentum to the earth, and thus the atmosphere loses angular momentum. Analogously, if there is a net easterly surface wind (i.e. a surface wind from the east), the atmosphere slows down the rotation of the earth and angular momentum is transferred from the earth to the atmosphere"

Hope this post helps everyone.

And here I was thinking I was smart for graduating after taking advanced physics for aircraft accident analysis along with analytical geometry and trigonometry. My brain is now fried.

Dude, you’re smarter than me that’s for sure. Thanks for that info. I learned quite a bit.

Latest CFS 500mb pattern for January 2020 from Judah Cohen this morning. This is something we can work with if correct
0890b081674bae69952590216ac7764b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

@Webberweather53, Mike Ventrice mentioned a possible SSW toward mid January. I guess its starting now based on what he said from the eps. Do you think we can achieve one? Be interesting to see how the qbo plays out.

If you want to see something infuriating take a look at the 06z GFS and how that big low at the pole weakens slightly then recirculates even beastlier than before. A +AO like that would be a booger to get rid of

If you want to see something infuriating take a look at the 06z GFS and how that big low at the pole weakens slightly then recirculates even beastlier than before. A +AO like that would be a booger to get rid of

Nothing the FV3 shows past 120hrs can infuriate me.

I'll believe it if it gets to January 1st and looks reasonable. Not now of course. Everyone did the whole "But next month" routine last year and it was nothing but false promises and torch. I'm starting to think winter will bust again.
The good news is that it is still fall, so we have all of winter ahead of us. Too early to give up.

It has some GEFS support ? but agreed on this LR stuff being a shamView attachment 28635
I'd think we can work with that and what the EPS has. Not an Arctic invasion by any means. But I'm not a fan of that anyway. Vodka cold is more often than not a shutout pattern just like an SER dominated pattern.

Back