• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

Still no real cold air in sight for the SE on the 2 week model consensus fwiw. Then again, the 11-15 day portion of models has been near worthless over the last month or so.

Regardless, even if we average the next 2 weeks slightly warmer than normal as the consensus suggests (average high over next 2 weeks, say, in the mid 60s here) that is easily the best weather of the year. As long as we don’t torch, I’m content.

Still no real cold air in sight for the SE on the 2 week model consensus fwiw. Then again, the 11-15 day portion of models has been near worthless over the last month or so.

Regardless, even if we average the next 2 weeks slightly warmer than normal as the consensus suggests, that is easily the best weather of the year. As long as we don’t torch, I’m content.
This cooler air this year has definitely put a dent on the fire ants around here, past 5 years after a soaking rain you’d see mounds everywhere, different this year, I’ll take average to slightly AN temps

Regardless, even if we average the next 2 weeks slightly warmer than normal as the consensus suggests (average high over next 2 weeks, say, in the mid 60s here) that is easily the best weather of the year. As long as we don’t torch, I’m content.

I'll take seasonal temps any December, I still cringe at how warm December 2015 was.

Last edited:
CMC looks a bit better
gem_z500a_us_26.png

Such good tracks, just not enough CAA, probably due to less influence from the 50/50 or it being to far south to tug in colder 850s, later phase always helps with CAA05F5BCD4-FC13-4A82-AC5D-09479FFBC283.jpeg

I might be wrong but don’t we need it to phase in that location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don’t necessarily need it to phase at all at any point in time, leaving the southern stream wave/ cut off ULL alone is often perfectly fine and even preferred in situations like these. The phasing process can at least initially shear and distort the ULL and drag it further north which in such an instance might leave this threat confined to the mid Atlantic instead of the SE US.

Moral of the story: phasing doesn’t always = a better storm. Jan 2000 is a good example of what can happen if the southern stream wave is left alone

Last edited:
It’s important to keep in mind regarding model “trends” that the further you move away from verification, the less likely a model “trend” actually represents reality. This is especially true when we’re dealing with forecasts for a cut off ULL several days-week out, and these ULLs are usually the most difficult phenomena to predict.

Forecasters and enthusiasts alike should really pay attention to shorter term trends in NWP (particularly when said trends are coupled with new, reliable, more adequately constrained observations from RAOBs, surface stations, etc) because these short term trends are not only are likely indicative of something real, but they also tend to propagate forward in time on later model runs and may reverse or enhance a “trend” in a model at some later time.

We don’t necessarily need it to phase at all at any point in time, leaving the southern stream wave/ cut off ULL alone is often perfectly fine and even preferred in situations like these. The phasing process can at least initially shear and distort the ULL and drag it further north which in such an instance might leave this threat confined to the mid Atlantic instead of the SE US.

Moral of the story: phasing doesn’t always = a better storm. Jan 2000 is a good example of what can happen if the southern stream wave is left alone
Yeah always hesitant to bring up the crusher but it had some similar traits. If I remember it had that convection that models at the time did not pick up on that helped that wave bomb out once it hit the gulf

Honestly this far out I like suppression because we all know more than likely she’s coming north west as we come closer to the event

Back