• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tennessee valley/NC/Va Flizzard (16th)

My thinking is most, if not all, or this that actually does work across the mountains is going to be rain, not snow.
I pity a fool .. almost alwaysssss these type of rates will produce snow ... people always say ehhh I think boundary layer warmmmmm ... the thing is the flakes don’t have enough time to melt cause they will be in very cold air above us.. I also checked the temps on the nam and such models and under those pockets of snow temps can crash to 34 or so respectively .. these will be snow pockets

I pity a fool .. almost alwaysssss these type of rates will produce snow ... people always say ehhh I think boundary layer warmmmmm ... the thing is the flakes don’t have enough time to melt cause they will be in very cold air above us.. I also checked the temps on the nam and such models and under those pockets of snow temps can crash to 34 or so respectively .. these will be snow pockets
Hopefully, rates will overcome. I doubt we will get anything falling for it to matter, anyways, haha.

It honestly looks like areas further west fare a better chance of a Convective snow shower/flurry given there’s lower dewpoints which allows more room for evaporative cooling, wet bulbs are much lower around WNC/I-77, which allows a lower temp once thats reached, also could tac on to some virga issues, but this reminds me of the flizzard I got at night on December 1st but more Convective, where I had snow/rain falling at 42 degrees, lol 801C2A50-FD8C-4904-B86D-A8815C9A4FBC.png2D5C9107-D9F1-4925-A3E5-75AE136A2E61.png5EBA1B3D-4FA1-4B34-8EF9-7B3D57CD413F.png

I'm hoping silently to see some flurries in the morning. Not supposed to but thats all I got this winter is a few flizzards.

21z HRRR cranking out several cells at ~40 dbz tomorrow morning. That intensity translates to roughly 1/2" per hour rainfall rate (or 5" per hour as snowfall rate).
Odds of any one spot getting underneath these are low, but, a 15 minute whiteout sure is fun if you get one. ?

1610750678735.png

Back