• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Summer Sizzlin Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of places will be close to breaking records tomorrow. Hot days coming up. Probably postpone any grass cutting for the near future ?.Screenshot_20190524-205440_Twitter.jpg

I was a freshman going to USC in 07’ and I can confirm Columbia SC was hell on earth that summer..I’m pretty sure I had a mild heat stroke that year walking to class one day and now I sweat like a pig every time the sun is out

I was a freshman going to USC in 07’ and I can confirm Columbia SC was hell on earth that summer..I’m pretty sure I had a mild heat stroke that year walking to class one day and now I sweat like a pig every time the sun is out
I remember that heatwave i was only 9 years old but i think birmingham hit 105 degrees or something around that during that one. Seems like there was mini one in 2012 if i remember correctly.

I was told that by someone as I ran to the truck during a lightning storm. He said if God says its my time to go, its my time to go. I replied that it being my time to go didnt bother me. What bothered me was it not being my time to go and then I end up maimed the rest of my life.

I remember that heatwave i was only 9 years old but i think birmingham hit 105 degrees or something around that during that one. Seems like there was mini one in 2012 if i remember correctly.

Yeah, hit 105-107 for a few days in 2012 with very high humidity. I think HI's were 110-120. Now that was miserable, but it didnt last. 2016 was by far the worst summer I can remember. It wasnt record heat, but it was 94-97 everyday with no rain. Didnt even need to look at the forcast.

Reviewing that summer whenever that heatwave started is hideous to do. I've talked to my dad about it and I think he said he was wanting school to get postponed due to it. I told him the other day that if this heatwave was this time next month that we'd probably be hitting 110+ with ease (I maybe overexaggerated but if it was July, then for sure).

I have no memories of my experiences with it because I tend to flush stuff that really sucks down the drain unless it really affected me. I do remember my experience with strep throat well that year. I'm pretty sure I've talked about it before so the short story is, dad blew off my sore throat as a cold, so I took Zicam and blew it off, but then a few days later, I woke up crying and writhing in pain at night because my throat was badly swollen from it. Odd thing still was, I had no fever.

I lived in Columbia in 2012 and it hit 112. Most miserable place east of the Rockies. It has more 100 degree days on average than anywhere else in the east. And its not a dry heat either.

I lived in Columbia in 2012 and it hit 112. Most miserable place east of the Rockies. It has more 100 degree days on average than anywhere else in the east. And its not a dry heat either.
I do not miss that place. August 07’ had 13 consecutive 100+ days. August 10, 07’ hit a muggy 109 on campus and I can remember sweating all the way through my clothes. I did some digging and Columbia averaged a max high of 97.2 that August.. appalling

Anybody got any suggestions on how to keep deer flies off? I've tried everything over the years from bug sprays to wearing dryer sheets (yes you read that right lol) But they are worse this year then ever and its miserable being outside....

And by deer flies I mean these buggers
4ee5fa317ea4ea9bca9b0b5a864c2c3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anybody got any suggestions on how to keep deer flies off? I've tried everything over the years from bug sprays to wearing dryer sheets (yes you read that right lol) But they are worse this year then ever and its miserable being outside....

And by deer flies I mean these buggers
4ee5fa317ea4ea9bca9b0b5a864c2c3e.jpg

I know it sounds crazy, gut get a big peacock feather, duct tape it to a hat so the feather is up like an antenna, and wear the hat; for whatever reason deerflies are attracted to that as opposed to your skin; also citronella is a good ward-off.

I know it sounds crazy, gut get a big peacock feather, duct tape it to a hat so the feather is up like an antenna, and wear the hat; for whatever reason deerflies are attracted to that as opposed to your skin; also citronella is a good ward-off.
Not crazy at all that was one of the things I found online and also my wife just made up a batch of essential oils to spray....trying it all and going out to see how it works. Wish me luck Lol

Not crazy at all that was one of the things I found online and also my wife just made up a batch of essential oils to spray....trying it all and going out to see how it works. Wish me luck Lol

Luck!
That's something I learned from some old folks years ago ... glad it made it on-line!
Again ... Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back