• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Subtropical Storm Alberto

stormcentral

First Alert Wx
Reaction score
Models have been consistent on areas of tropical development from the carribean or into the gulf of mexico or the straits of florida; Multiple runs of different models showing this tropical system / & potential cyclone that develops around the May 19-25 period. Quite in southeast for now.

Yeah this has been consistent runs for a while now. Strong signal of something to brew up. May the season began.

shout out to Gawx... is there any correlation with early tropical development and warm/cool summers, or following winters? This sort of statistical analysis seems right up your alley.

@whamby I'll hopefully get back to you when I get more time.

There have been only 4 TCs on record to form in the W Caribbean since 1851 during 5/11-20 (so about one every 40 years...so not even close to impossible though rare) as per this map with 2 of the 4 hitting FL:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/may_11_20.png

One of the 4 was Alma of 1970, which became a cat 1 H in the W Caribbean and later hit FL but only as a TD:
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atl ... /track.gif

The other FL hit was storm 1 of 1916, which hit FL as only a minimal TS:

Another of the 4 was TS #1 of 1933, which never got close to the US:

The 4th was TS #2 of 1887, which affected Jamaica, Cuba, and the central Bahamas, but which missed the US:

So, in summary, 1970, 1933, 1916, and 1887 with 1970 hitting FL as a TD and 1916 hitting FL as a minimal TS. This info tells me not to bet the farm against a W Caribbean genesis this mid May, but to bet a whole lot on there not being a H hit on the US from a potential mid May genesis. It is too early in the season to think of that as a reasonable possibility per this climo going back to 1851.

Looks like the CMC may be slowly drifting towards the GFS and FV3's direction. I looked at the 850mb vort map and saw the overall origin of the low that both models are creating. The GFS takes a spin that originates near or south of Nicaragua and sends it east, developing it into the storm that heads towards the US. However, the CMC takes that same spin, which originates around day 5 or 7 and takes it west into the Pacific, creating a low there. The CMC, however, drifts that low east after a short time into Central America and has the overall flow NE at the end of the run with there still being some spin. Have to watch to see if any other runs do this, as 0Z did this as well.

I dunno what the GFS is smoking but sure let's have a storm for the entire east coast :p

I don't think of one every 40 years as too low to consider that a genesis MAY actually happen with every GFS/FV3 run developing it there. However, I also wouldn't bet on it happening as the GFS in recent years has had cases where run after run for many days in a row had a W Caribbean genesis and nothing ended up forming. Also, I believe that the GFS/FV3 is way too strong even if there were to be a genesis. Run after run has had a cat 2 H but there has been only 1 H form from a genesis there in mid May since 1851 and that was only a cat 1 for only 12 hours while still in the W Caribbean with a max of 80 mph!

Last edited:
I don't think of one every 40 years as too low to consider that a genesis MAY actually happen with every GFS/FV3 run developing it there. However, I also wouldn't bet on it happening as the GFS in recent years has had cases where run after run for many days in a row had a W Caribbean genesis and nothing ended up forming. Also, I believe that the GFS/FV3 is way too strong even if there were to be a genesis. Run after run has had a cat 2 H but there has been only 1 H form from a genesis there in mid May since 1851 and that was only a cat 1 for only 12 hours while still in the W Caribbean with a max of 80 mph!

Right I dont totally disbelieve the idea of something forming but the idea of some full blown hurricane is a little hard to grasp

Larry,
As Tony might say ... Here's hoping the abacus is right for our sakes and this :oops: isn't a statistical anomaly ... Not prepared yet this year ... (though actually never am, nor for that matter is anybody, really) ...

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh300-330.gif

Larry,
As Tony might say ... Here's hoping the abacus is right for our sakes and this :oops: isn't a statistical anomaly ... Not prepared yet this year ... (though actually never am, nor for that matter is anybody, really) ...

Don't worry, Phil. Based on the fact that there has been only 1 TC recorded since way back in 1851 with a 5/11-20 genesis in the W Caribbean that reached H strength and that just for 12 hours peaking at only 80 mph well down in the Caribbean, this 12Z FV3 borderline cat 2/cat 3 that hardly weakens over N FL ain't happening.

Don't worry, Phil. Based on the fact that there has been only 1 TC recorded since way back in 1851 with a 5/11-20 genesis in the W Caribbean that reached H strength and that just for 12 hours peaking at only 80 mph well down in the Caribbean, this 12Z FV3 borderline cat 2/cat 3 that hardly weakens over N FL ain't happening.
Wasn't/am not worried ... LOL ... just figured it was worth a shout your way for the fun of it ... :eek:
Actually, I'm real interested in how the models handle now until 7/31; will be a good gauge for the real season ...
As always, Larry,
Best!
Phil

Edit at 8:50 PM: Larry, I'm now just a tad bit "interested" ...

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh330-330.gif

Last edited:
The gfs has lost it :eek:

2iut47q.jpg

Actually, statistics notwithstanding (which I pray win the day), this is a bit disconcerting, being so many runs in a row ... plenty of time for a drastic change for the better, but 2 more days of this and June prep starts in May ... :( In any event, even 14 days or so out, I'm getting just a tad bit "interested"

2018051018_CON_GFS_SFC_SLP_THK_PRECIP_WINDS_348.gif 2018051018_CON_GFS_SFC_SLP_THK_PRECIP_WINDS_360.gif

Last edited:
@pcbjr and others: Keep in mind folks how the GFS often way overstrenghtened TCs last season. Example: remember those numerous Irma runs down below 900 mbs? Many of the runs turned out to have Irma 30+ mb too strong. This may be the reason the GFS/FV3 are so ridiculously strong with this new potential. Could it be 30 mb too strong and we instead get something more like 1000 mb when/if it gets to the US, if there's any TC at all? I say yes and climo backs this up.
Phil, I'd say prepare for the small chance for a TS impact.

which model performed best inside 7 days last tropical season? Seems like the GFS was, but constantly strengthened storms too much.

Back