• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Subtropical Storm Alberto

they really should move up the start of the season into May... every year here lately... EPAC started May 15 and while they had a TD already it failed to get named

Here's something you may find interesting. The original Atlantic hurricane season was 6/15-10/31 per this:

"The basic concept of a hurricane season began during 1935,[4] when dedicated wire circuits known as hurricane circuits began to be set up along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts,[5] a process completed by 1955.[6] It was originally the time frame when the tropics were monitored routinely for tropical cyclone activity, and was originally defined as from June 15 through October 31.[7] Over the years, the beginning date was shifted back to June 1, while the end date was shifted to November 15,[5] before settling at November 30 by 1965."

From here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_hurricane_season

This is a very rare once in several decade May GOM storm. Just there being one regardless of how organized or strong it is is impressive to me. There could easily not be another for 30+ years. What were folks other than JB expecting? This as it is turns out to be the strongest on record since 1863 in May in the GOM. And it goes without saying that it is good news for those in the FL Panhandle not wanting a big hit.

Did anyone here really believe those ridiculous 3K NAM runs? I assume not. That model is such a joke for tropical.

Last edited:
Bands increasing ? I see one pathetic band In SW Georgia. This system blows

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Not sure what you were expecting. Irma was pretty pathetic here in terms of rain. Only had 2 inches and didn't ever seem too heavy. I think it looks decent for what it is. Definitely not going to drop more than 4 inches in places but I expect at least 2 between today and wednsday. If not, then we can call this storm pathetic.

I'm up to 7 now from last nights tropical rains, but today the sun has been out. Might see some big thunder after a while. Sure has heated it up out there. 80 now with rain on the door step from the second spiral band to come across.

Where is Alberto's center exactly at? Doesn't sound like it made landfall but I swear it already has. Radar seems to say it occurred around 20 minutes ago.

From NHC, it, indeed, made landfall as a 45 mph storm, which is tied for 2nd highest May US landfall strength for a GOM storm with 1959's TS Arlene, which landfalled on LA on 5/30. The only more powerful one was way back in 1863!

...CENTER OF ALBERTO MAKING LANDFALL NEAR LAGUNA BEACH FLORIDA...
...HEAVY RAINFALL AND FLASH FLOODING OCCURRING OVER PARTS OF THE
FLORIDA PANHANDLE...

SUMMARY OF 400 PM CDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.3N 85.9W
ABOUT 15 MI...20 KM WNW OF PANAMA CITY FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...45 MPH...75 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 355 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...994 MB...29.36 INCHES

Picked up .22 today! Really racking up, as the flood watch gets extended to Thursday

Back