• Hello, we have changed the default theme for SouthernWX. If you prefer the old look, you can change it back to the "Default" at the bottom of the page in the theme selector. If you have any issues or problems with the new theme, let @Shawn know with a message!
  • Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Strong, slow moving SE storm 12/21-23

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
When I went outside to walk (with an umbrella), it felt colder than I was anticipating, for sure. It was probably about 43-44 in the middle of the day, wind chill making it feel upper 30s.

Edit: Don't think it was raining as hard as it was for a stretch the last rain day I went outside, but I ended up getting wetter as I struggled with the umbrella a bit (wind and cold, as I had to fix my jacket to cover my hands) and my shoes were even more soaked.

cd2play

Reaction score
Those of us in middle TN can relate to this... it appears the Nashville dome wins again. I picked up a whopping 0.07 in the rain gauge.

BirdManDoomW

Leader of the bird cult
Reaction score
How did Georgia fair with those high wind warnings and flooding. Total dud here with very light rates. Maybe coastal SC will see a little flooding but it only takes 1” to flood there so..I can’t believe this was compared to ‘93.

ForsythSnow

Staff member
Reaction score
How did Georgia fair with those high wind warnings and flooding. Total dud here with very light rates. Maybe coastal SC will see a little flooding but it only takes 1” to flood there so..I can’t believe this was compared to ‘93.
Just under 2" here and we had some gusty winds. Not sure about how strong but we verified slightly above the wind advisory criteria near here.

NoSnowATL

Reaction score
I got just under 2in. It was windy but nothing too crazy. Ready for a few dry days coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaWx

Supporter
Reaction score
Round 2 -

View attachment 28870

Just drove back from Tampa... amazing the amount of standing water along I-75, and the temp differential over just 130 miles ...
Speaking of standing water, I now have a brand new Lake Larry in MBY! Below is a map of the CoCoRaHS 24 hour precip amounts ending ~7 AM today in Chatham County. I'm toward the middle of the county where ~4.5-5" had fallen per this map. Since then, another 0.50-0.75" fell. My total is 5.35" and the event isn't finished! The upper low shown on Phil's radar over the NE GOM is moving E and the deformation zone on the NW side of the upper low will bring rains back to the area tonight with as much as another inch or so forecasted (12Z Euro has 0.75"). So, I could be pushing 6" when this is all over tomorrow morning.

Officially at KSAV, 4.21" has fallen, already making it the 4th wettest Dec. event on record going back to the 1870s. The total could get close to 5" by tomorrow morning. That would make it the 3rd wettest.

GetMap.aspx.gif

Rosie

Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of standing water, I now have a brand new Lake Larry in MBY! Below is a map of the CoCoRaHS 24 hour precip amounts ending ~7 AM today in Chatham County. I'm toward the middle of the county where ~4.5-5" had fallen per this map. Since then, another 0.50-0.75" fell. My total is 5.35" and the event isn't finished! The upper low shown on Phil's radar over the NE GOM is moving E and the deformation zone on the NW side of the upper low will bring rains back to the area tonight with as much as another inch or so forecasted (12Z Euro has 0.75"). So, I could be pushing 6" when this is all over tomorrow morning.

Officially at KSAV, 4.21" has fallen, already making it the 4th wettest Dec. event on record going back to the 1870s. The total could get close to 5" by tomorrow morning. That would make it the 3rd wettest.

View attachment 28875
Wow!

53rdWRS

Supporter
Reaction score
1.42in and lots of small branches down - woodstock ga

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
2.3"** and it was breezy and brisk yesterday. Don't know about the high winds.

Euro did good on this one, thankfully no known issues locally I believe from the hefty rain totals but I'm not sure how much more can be taken in lower areas.

Edit: Whoops, I was wrong. Dam break in Aiken County over in SC. Major flooding over there.

2nd edit: Well, dad claims I read the rain gauge wrong so I put the edited number that he said. Not sure here and I don't have backup to check, so "shrug".

Last edited:

GaWx

Supporter
Reaction score
The water table is so high in this area from this very heavy rain event that many septic tanks are backing up. But the roads are mostly fine now because it has been a very long duration steady rain rather than thunderstorms causing torrential downpours/street flooding. The yards look worse than the roads.

More rain is now falling as the upper low gets closer in its trek over FL south of here. Will be adding to my event total that is already over 5". Will it get to 6" by tomorrow morning?