• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sports Thread

TBS would cover the Braves, and WGN would cover the Cubs. (WGN was another "Superstation")

One summer night I was visiting, and Gma had a Cubs game on! I must have been 8 or 9 years old. And I asked her "are you a Cubs fan now instead of the Braves?????"

My Gma looked at me and for a brief moment, I remember she seemed---annoyed? (which was funny because she was one of calmest people I knew). Finally I imagine she realized she was talking to a child who meant no offense, and really patiently said, "the Braves are off tonight. I watch the Cubs when the Braves aren't on."

Grandma, what about when the Braves play the Cubs??

"GO BRAVES!" ?
That's a great story I remember watching the Braves with my grandparents a lot in the Summers when I was a kid..

Bubba is still pushing on CNN tonight he has never seen those type pull downsin garages. If you go on YouTube and watching in the nascar garages interviews they are easily seen.

Attachments

• 051F8E3E-D71C-4CA5-8F65-4B8356AB5074.jpeg
    051F8E3E-D71C-4CA5-8F65-4B8356AB5074.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 11
Love to see so many Braves fans on here. I admit I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, but I'm a lifelong Braves fan, and I owe it all to my Grandma. (no joke)

My Grandma loved baseball and basketball. Her two favorite teams were the Braves and UNC. This was completely due to the frequency to which she could see both teams on TV. My Grandma was originally from Alabama, but moved to Thomasville, NC sometime in the 60's.

Why did she like the Braves? Well in the 80's, the local cable system got WTBS "The Superstation", which later became TBS. But back then they were still flaunting being an Atlanta station, and better yet---they covered almost every Braves game throughout the season. She became a fan because that was the team shown the most when flipping tv channels.

I'm dating myself here, but I have to tell you about the Braves during the 1980's. They were absolutely TERRIBLE. Gma said they had one good season in like 84, but all I remember is them always having a losing record, and being out of the pennant race by like...late July. And yet, Gma STILL watched. and watched. And watched. Every single terrible year.

And then the 91 season happened and we got good enough to make it to the playoffs every single year, and then all of a sudden all these kids in my school thought the Braves were AWESOME! And probably a whole lot of other people thought they were awesome. I told my Gma about this, and she looked at me with a bit of a wry grin and said "bandwagon". I had no idea what she was talking about until years later. But obviously she was telling me that all those years of supporting a bad team were finally paying off, and that the real fans could appreciate them more.

BTW, Gma's favorite players were Dale Murphy, Fred McGriff, and Chipper Jones.

I wonder if your Gma saw the Rick Camp Braves-Mets game of 7/4-5/1986, which ended at near 4 AM with July 4th fireworks scaring the living daylights of sleeping folks after 19 innings, 29 runs, three long rain delays, Mets manager Davey Johnson and Darryl Strawberry being ejected, Keith Hernandez hitting for the cycle, 46 total hits, the Mets having a record # of hits, and the Braves not once but TWICE in extra innings with 2 outs and 2 strikes tieing the game with a homerun (one of them hitting the foul screen). There was also an absolutely unforgettable call by John Sterling, who had 5 innings earlier already said "this might be the wackiest game of all time". It turns out he hadn't yet seen anything nearly as wacky as what later occurred:

Last edited:
I wonder if your Gma saw the Rick Camp Braves-Mets game of 7/4-5/1986, which ended at near 4 AM with July 4th fireworks scaring the living daylights of sleeping folks after 19 innings, 29 runs, three long rain delays, Mets manager Davey Johnson and Darryl Strawberry being ejected, Keith Hernandez hitting for the cycle, 46 total hits, the Mets having a record # of hits, and the Braves not once but TWICE in extra innings with 2 outs and 2 strikes tieing the game with a homerun (one of them hitting the foul screen). There was also an absolutely unforgettable call by John Sterling, who had 5 innings earlier already said "this might be the wackiest game of all time". It turns out he hadn't yet seen anything nearly as wacky as what later occurred:

LOL. I have a feeling she heard about it, but there's no way she stayed up that late to watch. Unless it was the postseason, Gma was in bed by 10-10:30pm...

I watched the vid btw. It's funny to hear how exasperated the announcers were at that point. ( like any of us would sound at 320am)

I have a question for everyone. What is your feelings on transgender being able to compete in sports? Like in NJ there is 2 transgenders that have competed in girls sports. Out of 15 competitions. The transgenders have won 12. In some cases knocking ladies out of competition in state finals. There is a lawsuit been filed in that state.
I feel transgender should not be able to compete in ladies sports. Yes they can be identified as a female but their genetics are not of a female. Just as a transgender competing in a males sport. They will not be able to beat a male in almost all cases. Even though they identify themselves as a male. I don’t mean to sound discrimination but it’s just not fair to females.

I have a question for everyone. What is your feelings on transgender being able to compete in sports? Like in NJ there is 2 transgenders that have competed in girls sports. Out of 15 competitions. The transgenders have won 12. In some cases knocking ladies out of competition in state finals. There is a lawsuit been filed in that state.
I feel transgender should not be able to compete in ladies sports. Yes they can be identified as a female but their genetics are not of a female. Just as a transgender competing in a males sport. They will not be able to beat a male in almost all cases. Even though they identify themselves as a male. I don’t mean to sound discrimination but it’s just not fair to females.
Not a fan of it to be honest.

It's not fair to women.

There’s a transgender in AEW, Nyla Rose, who has been beaten many times. Sure she’s much larger than most of her female opponents. But winning is as much about speed and finesse as it is about size and strength. And that’s what her record shows. (Kayfabe notwithstanding...I could still see her losing if it weren’t fake because she’s sooooo slow.)

Last edited:
There’s a transgender in AEW, Nyla Rose, who has been beaten many times. Sure she’s much larger than most of her female opponents. But winning is as much about speed and finesse as it is about size and strength. And that’s what her record shows. (Kayfabe notwithstanding...I could still see her losing if it weren’t fake because she’s sooooo slow.)
I understand but my daughter plays soccer. What happens when these transgenders start playing ladies soccer and basketball and softball and volleyball and tennis and swimming or golf and boxing? Where does end stop?

I really thought Dalton and the Patriots were a perfect match. I still wouldn't be surprised at all to see Cam end up in NE unless he is asking for a lot of money or isn't healthy.
Should be an interesting season this year. You have to me 4 teams that are above the rest SF, KC, NO, Baltimore, after that there is a real log jam of about 15 or so teams that could compete for playoff spots.

Yup

Back