• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sports Thread

He may be unlikable, but he certainly doesn't suck. I'm not a fan of his (I guess I'm a Byron fan these days by default, though it's not quite the same as my fandom of Jeff Gordon), but I think he's good for the sport.
Oh he's brilliant for the sport. We need polarizing figures

Been kind of losing hope that we see MLB return. Since the doctors helping them nixed playing later in the year because of worry over a second wave, there really isn't a whole lot of time left to negotiate. They REALLY need to strike a deal if they're going to play like a week or so at most before mid-June if they're going to play at all because they need to start training again about mid-June. I'm not really interested in like a 60ish game season.

That sucks but I've started to become less bearish on...everything else playing at least in some fashion. You could see colleges like USC (the real one) not play in college football, but I don't think college football gets cancelled.

Now that I say I'm losing hope loool, it seems like there's more optimism today about MLB playing.

Boy, this is all bad.

If they can't come to a miracle then MLB may be *#&@&@%*# for quite a while. Can already see that lackluster 2021 season and a 2nd lockout in 3 years from the bruised egos and bitterness.

It's a major shame, considering that the Braves are a good watch now. But the stuff like this coming out is an absolutely awful, garbage look for both sides (which folks in that chatroom I've abandoned will hate, but it's true).

MLB and MLBPA have about one week before they need to come up with something unless you want a laugher of a season. I'm bearish on something actually getting done and they are really risking looking really really bad if other sports like golf/basketball/hockey/later football can play.

Update from the land of ridiculousness...

?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♀️

How can you be so dumb that you don't want to play at all?

The crazy thing is that of all the major US sports (besides golf), I would think MLB would be the one that's LEAST at risk of problems w/ COVID, and yet they may not be able to get this deal done. They are outside. There is often minimal contact between players (at least compared to football, bball, hockey..) This is the perfect opportunity for MLB to work this out and play games and get their product out there, and yet they are hung up on this.

In other words, they have the most to gain from this situation and potentially the least risk of all the major professional sports leagues. If they don't work this out---they are royally screwing themselves over for years to come.

Braves won't be able to afford a start like 2019. 60 games in last year was 33-27. That'd have been close on either WC or nothing I think. Gonna be facing a lot of good opponents as well, as I think they are going to do the three 10 team divisions stuff, so it'll be the AL/NL East.

It is going to feel very exhibition-y and that's assuming they don't nuke it due to COVID spikes. Also could be sloppy as they will be requiring 14 day quarantines with positive tests, and imagine if one or more of Freeman/Acuna/Albies test positive.

60 games, but with the reality that many games could be cancelled due to mini-outbreaks, and of course subject to local health restrictions (more of a factor later in September and during October playoffs). Go Braves, chop chop!

Love to see so many Braves fans on here. I admit I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, but I'm a lifelong Braves fan, and I owe it all to my Grandma. (no joke)

My Grandma loved baseball and basketball. Her two favorite teams were the Braves and UNC. This was completely due to the frequency to which she could see both teams on TV. My Grandma was originally from Alabama, but moved to Thomasville, NC sometime in the 60's.

Why did she like the Braves? Well in the 80's, the local cable system got WTBS "The Superstation", which later became TBS. But back then they were still flaunting being an Atlanta station, and better yet---they covered almost every Braves game throughout the season. She became a fan because that was the team shown the most when flipping tv channels.

I'm dating myself here, but I have to tell you about the Braves during the 1980's. They were absolutely TERRIBLE. Gma said they had one good season in like 84, but all I remember is them always having a losing record, and being out of the pennant race by like...late July. And yet, Gma STILL watched. and watched. And watched. Every single terrible year.

And then the 91 season happened and we got good enough to make it to the playoffs every single year, and then all of a sudden all these kids in my school thought the Braves were AWESOME! And probably a whole lot of other people thought they were awesome. I told my Gma about this, and she looked at me with a bit of a wry grin and said "bandwagon". I had no idea what she was talking about until years later. But obviously she was telling me that all those years of supporting a bad team were finally paying off, and that the real fans could appreciate them more.

BTW, Gma's favorite players were Dale Murphy, Fred McGriff, and Chipper Jones.

Love to see so many Braves fans on here. I admit I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, but I'm a lifelong Braves fan, and I owe it all to my Grandma. (no joke)

My Grandma loved baseball and basketball. Her two favorite teams were the Braves and UNC. This was completely due to the frequency to which she could see both teams on TV. My Grandma was originally from Alabama, but moved to Thomasville, NC sometime in the 60's.

Why did she like the Braves? Well in the 80's, the local cable system got WTBS "The Superstation", which later became TBS. But back then they were still flaunting being an Atlanta station, and better yet---they covered almost every Braves game throughout the season. She became a fan because that was the team shown the most when flipping tv channels.

I'm dating myself here, but I have to tell you about the Braves during the 1980's. They were absolutely TERRIBLE. Gma said they had one good season in like 84, but all I remember is them always having a losing record, and being out of the pennant race by like...late July. And yet, Gma STILL watched. and watched. And watched. Every single terrible year.

And then the 91 season happened and we got good enough to make it to the playoffs every single year, and then all of a sudden all these kids in my school thought the Braves were AWESOME! And probably a whole lot of other people thought they were awesome. I told my Gma about this, and she looked at me with a bit of a wry grin and said "bandwagon". I had no idea what she was talking about until years later. But obviously she was telling me that all those years of supporting a bad team were finally paying off, and that the real fans could appreciate them more.

BTW, Gma's favorite players were Dale Murphy, Fred McGriff, and Chipper Jones.
Yeah I remember TBS used to cover all of the Braves games except maybe one or two on Sports South. Was great on TBS.

Yeah I remember TBS used to cover all of the Braves games except maybe one or two on Sports South. Was great on TBS.
TBS would cover the Braves, and WGN would cover the Cubs. (WGN was another "Superstation")

One summer night I was visiting, and Gma had a Cubs game on! I must have been 8 or 9 years old. And I asked her "are you a Cubs fan now instead of the Braves?????"

My Gma looked at me and for a brief moment, I remember she seemed---annoyed? (which was funny because she was one of calmest people I knew). Finally I imagine she realized she was talking to a child who meant no offense, and really patiently said, "the Braves are off tonight. I watch the Cubs when the Braves aren't on."

Grandma, what about when the Braves play the Cubs??

"GO BRAVES!" ?

Back