• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Solar Eclipse Forecast

Just read where NASA recommends that you use a shade 14 lense in welding helmets. That is crazy to me. I wonder if that is just butt covering by them.

Just read where NASA recommends that you use a shade 14 lense in welding helmets. That is crazy to me. I wonder if that is just butt covering by them.

What shade do you use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What shade do you use ?

Actually finding the Nasa page and not relying on first search USA Today article states shade 12 and above. So my auto darkening helmet goes up to 13 so it will be good. I'll check the one at work but we have a pair of welding goggles we can wear under the helmet if it isn't strong enough.

Actually finding the Nasa page and not relying on first search USA Today article states shade 12 and above. So my auto darkening helmet goes up to 13 so it will be good. I'll check the one at work but we have a pair of welding goggles we can wear under the helmet if it isn't strong enough.
i weld at work myself... just think i was going to use a number 11... thanks for the info arcc...

i weld at work myself... just think i was going to use a number 11... thanks for the info arcc...

Here is the page and quote for everyone else.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number. The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find.

The band of cloudiness/showers that is currently stretched from S FL NNE into the Atlantic is progged by model consensus to move NW to near and just inland of the SC coast tomorrow just in time to quite possibly block out much of the eclipse viewing for a good portion of those areas tomorrow afternoon. Let's see what actually happens

Latest 3km Nam
9db279f4459613299d05954203aa7a87.jpg

3km 4-run average cloud cover %
a06dc4d887d4ff05d77db8aaae737651.jpg

Latest NWS cloud cover % forecast
7181beca4ff2acd52d640b7e7d9e3826.png

^ Thanks, Jon. So, based on the key to the map, white areas are actually where there isn't much cloudcover? Am I looking at this correctly?

^ Thanks, Jon. So, based on the key to the map, white areas are actually where there isn't much cloudcover? Am I looking at this correctly?

On the Nam model runs yes, white is no cloud cover. The color scales on the modeled output and the nws are opposite - so that doesn't help lol!

Back