• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Wx Threat: March 28-31, 2017

Hopefully my cousin wasn't out and about, he lives in one of the northeast Atlanta suburbs (and this happens to be the last spring that he and his parents will be there, I think...).

I'm not being critical at all, but could this have possibly been SPC's biggest bust ever. We all know threats can bust due to different things, but there isn't a single report of severe weather even close to the Moderate risk area. I don't even know if much thunder occured.

It was no doubt a bust but I remember several events that busted with moderate outlooks. So I wouldn't call this the biggest bust ever. And there were a few tornado warnings in the enhanced are this afternoon in Illinois . It was a but down this way for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that I-85 collapsed on another forum. Part of a bridge just caught on fire and collapsed. Someone for Georgia DOT is going to get fired because it was because of chemicals/gas under the road and it simply caught fire.
Whoops. Should have read this thread before the banter thread lol. Posted over there about it.

Definitely underwhelming as far as scope but still some storms popping up on AL/GA border which are gaining some strength which will be a little bumpy for some

Got a nice little storm that popped the severe thunderstorm warning in Gwinnett County. It's west of me moving pretty fast to the north. Got lots of lightning and thunder!

It was no doubt a bust but I remember several events that busted with moderate outlooks. So I wouldn't call this the biggest bust ever. And there were a few tornado warnings in the enhanced are this afternoon in Illinois . It was a but down this way for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember plenty of events that busted, I just don't remember one where there were no severe reports at all in the greatest risk area.

This will probably be the theme this spring. Busted severe weather outlooks and systems that dry up over the southeast. This kind of pattern is hard to break.

It'd be nice if I got some more rain from this system (didn't see much earlier) but it's not at a desperate point yet. There's a tornado warning in NE SC, FWIW.

And on cue, we're getting a nice drink of rain.

Or not lol. Just 5 mins of rain.

Last edited:
Pouring this morning with some wind and lightning. I am intrigued by this afternoon if we can get some midday sun to see a nice line with quite a bit of hail and wind

Pouring this morning with some wind and lightning. I am intrigued by this afternoon if we can get some midday sun to see a nice line with quite a bit of hail and wind
Yep it's been nice this morning.... be better if I were at home instead of watching it out of an office window but oh well. I'm interested to see if we can clear out enough to destabilize after these storms this morning
Looks like the 3k NAM really likes that line this afternoon

Yep it's been nice this morning.... be better if I were at home instead of watching it out of an office window but oh well. I'm interested to see if we can clear out enough to destabilize after these storms this morning
Looks like the 3k NAM really likes that line this afternoon
I'm interested in the cell in NW Wake right now looks like it has a weak rotation. The NAM 3k seems like it might run a little hot to be honest. THe HRRR is less enthusiastic

I'm interested in the cell in NW Wake right now looks like it has a weak rotation. The NAM 3k seems like it might run a little hot to be honest. THe HRRR is less enthusiastic
I was in a meeting so didn't see the cell in Wake (or get to look at any others too closely) and I've noticed the HRRR is definitely less enthusiastic.... man this stuff ramping up down east

Actually looks like the HRRR still looks somewhat interesting this afternoon, might have limited instability and moisture but if something can pop gonna need to watch it, especially closer to Va border

Back