• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Threat Dec 10-12 2021

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
SOUTHERN ALAMANCE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
ORANGE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
NORTHEASTERN RANDOLPH COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
SOUTHEASTERN GUILFORD COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
NORTHWESTERN CHATHAM COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 715 PM EST.

* AT 630 PM EST, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED 11 MILES NORTH OF
SILER CITY, MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS, SIDING, AND TREES.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
CHAPEL HILL, BURLINGTON, GRAHAM, HILLSBOROUGH, CARRBORO, MEBANE, LIBERTY, SWEPSONVILLE, ALAMANCE AND EFLAND.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A
BUILDING.

STRAIGHT LINE WINDS CAN BLOW DOWN TREES, POWER LINES, AND DAMAGE MOBILE HOMES AND OTHER BUILDINGS. SEEK SHELTER IN A STURDY STRUCTURE UNTIL THE STORM HAS PASSED. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS AS FLYING DEBRIS
GENERATED BY DAMAGING WINDS CAN BE DEADLY.

That line is here now. No thunder but it has been noisy due to the wind.

Prayers to those that were affected by the tornadoes last night.

Sobering....

"About 110 people were believed to be in the factory when the tornado struck, Beshear said, according to the Journal.

About 40 people were rescued during the night but Beshear said Saturday afternoon that no one else had been rescued since about 3 a.m. Saturday.

"It’ll be a miracle if anyone else is found alive in it," Beshear told reporters, according to the Post."

Sobering....

"About 110 people were believed to be in the factory when the tornado struck, Beshear said, according to the Journal.

About 40 people were rescued during the night but Beshear said Saturday afternoon that no one else had been rescued since about 3 a.m. Saturday.

"It’ll be a miracle if anyone else is found alive in it," Beshear told reporters, according to the Post."

Still not sure how high the death toll is gonna be but I'm thinking over 100 definitely

Theres so many small towns other than the factory that had deaths too

Wikipedia already has 94 ?

Last edited:
These 60+ dews making it much farther north these days mixing with strong cool season dynamics is very problematic. Not to mention temps only in the 70s which can happen anytime of the year and time of day now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm hearing the Mayfield tornado was an EF3. I can't imagine what an EF5 would do if an EF3 can do that much damage.

They said they found EF3 damage but they said the rating will change as more info are gathered.
Honestly I'm not even sure it matters. I'm sure the people who's lives have been devastated couldn't care less about what rating it is.

Honestly I'm not even sure it matters. I'm sure the people who's lives have been devastated couldn't care less about what rating it is.
Just stop please. Ratings matter and for various reasons..... good grief a 40 mph wind gust can knock a tree over and kill an individual doesn't mean it should've been labeled a severe storm.

Just stop please. Ratings matter and for various reasons..... good grief a 40 mph wind gust can knock a tree over and kill an individual doesn't mean it should've been labeled a severe storm.
I realize they matter. I'm just saying for the people impacted they probably couldn't care less.

I realize they matter. I'm just saying for the people impacted they probably couldn't care less.
And nobody is arguing that, wasn't even a point of discussion so no need to really even bring it up, these types of post are what derail serious discussion at time.

I hate to question the national weather service but Mayfield Tornado being labeled as EF 3 is shocking to me. Looks like a EF 4 at least based on video and pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back