• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Threat Dec 10-12 2021

This would be a pretty high-end event for the peak of severe weather season, let alone December.

In hindsight, it definitely wasn't hyped up as much as it should have been by forecasters.

That, combined with climo (most folks expect to be raking leaves, dodging snowflakes and scraping frost off their cars this time of year, not dodging tornadoes) caught a lot of people off guard and probably exacerbated the number of deaths/injurues.

You just don't see a lot of high death toll events like you used to. Technology and warning systems make it very difficult to have a high death toll, fortunately. By the way, did this storm have a warning in place before it hit Mayfield ?
I was following this storm for almost it’s entirety. They were putting out warnings 30 minutes to an hour ahead of the storm

This would be a pretty high-end event for the peak of severe weather season, let alone December.

In hindsight, it definitely wasn't hyped up as much as it should have been by forecasters.

That, combined with climo (most folks expect to be raking leaves, dodging snowflakes and scraping frost off their cars this time of year, not dodging tornadoes) caught a lot of people off guard and probably exacerbated the number of deaths/injurues.
There have been lesser systems that caused a lot less damage that were hyped up more than this system.

With a great passion for weather we all have and love, I never felt so heartbroken as I do now. This is so sad, families and friends loosing there homes and businesses, possibly livestock. Much prayers are needed ?.

Either people ignored the warnings or the storm was just so powerful that there was no way to find a safe place.

I mean, when there's a storm of this magnitude barreling towards you with only a brief warning (NWS may very well have had warnings issued 30 minutes before it came through, but having worked in factories, it can take time for that information to be flowed down & communicated to everyone), there's only so much you can do to protect yourself. Structures aren't built to withstand EF4 / EG5 damage.

Unfortunately, it's up to God at that point.

I mean, when there's a storm of this magnitude barreling towards you with only a brief warning (NWS may very well have had warnings issued 30 minutes before it came through, but havimf worked in factories, it can take time for that information to be flowed down & communicated to everyone), there's only so much you can do to protect yourself.

Unfortunately, it's up to God at that point.

It's really just unlucky because think about how localized tornadoes are. Even the big ones are a mile or two wide at most

It's really just unlucky because think about how localized tornadoes are. Even the big ones are a mile or two wide at most

Yeah.

People go about their lives with the idea that the odds are ridiculously slim of them being the victim of a tornado, let alone a strong tornado. You have a higher chance of being injured/killed in a plane crash or car accident, after all.

On top of that, consider the fact most of these folks went about their business that evening with the assumption that it wouldn't be that significant/widespread of a severe weather outbreak based on forecasts from earlier that day.

High winds out ahead of the line…warm and eerie. Most tornadoes here tho are followed with clouds and drizzle. I think we get a tornado it would be largely south of Wilkes somewhere near Iredell County and Davie County. Based on what I’m seeing outdoors, i77 is prime chase zone near Olin, NC south to Mooresville NC Im sensing at least 1 tornado EF2 or weaker.

Gonna go ahead and station off 421 near Ronda NC for now. That will give me access for both 421 and 77. I think 421 will likely be “squall driven” into Yadkin-Winston with a very small window for discrete storm for 77 Yadkin south.

Back