• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Potential Dec 13-14 Ice Threat

Definitely curious to see how much ice accrual you have @Mcdowell_weather @BIG FROSTY @BirdManDoomW as well as others in the NW piedmont

Very minor icing on trees, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch long icicles hanging from roof. I was up at around 5am there was more ice on trees then, Could see the sparkle/shine via yard light. Briefly dipped to 30.3 when rain moved in......................... Maybe next time! Haven't had a good Ice storm here in a very long time. Bottom line less than tenth. Currently 32.4

EDIT: There was ice on cars and handrails also.

Last edited:
Here's my post storm analysis for this event based on the reports I've seen thus far. Looks like the blue ridge escarpment from far southeastern Buncombe county to Surry & Alleghany counties picked up the most ice accrual with up to 0.1-0.2" on elevated surfaces.

Thankfully, temps weren't much lower and the winds were light, or else this could have been a major ice storm for the western piedmont.

December 12-13 2019 NC Snowmap.png

Less than 0.1” here. It was way icier Wednesday when there was black ice and no advisory. Prob some higher totals in the brushy mtns in southern Wilkes. The glaze extended to northern Iredell then to nothing before Statesville through Mooresville.

Here's my post storm analysis for this event based on the reports I've seen thus far. Looks like the blue ridge escarpment from far southeastern Buncombe county to Surry & Alleghany counties picked up the most ice accrual with up to 0.1-0.2" on elevated surfaces.

Thankfully, temps weren't much lower and the winds were light, or else this could have been a major ice storm for the western piedmont.

View attachment 27950
Pretty spot on from your call map. Great job.

The rise in temps you're observing is likely attributable to cloud cover and not WAA. Many locations warmed up 3-4F once the clouds came in and reduced radiational cooling. At night clouds retain longwave, outgoing IR >>> temp rises.

Lol, so the Waa waa in my original post was me crying because temps went above freezing, but i will admit that i thought the warming was due to Warm Air Advecting in and not the LWR. I appreciate the quick Physics Lesson!

Pretty spot on from your call map. Great job.

Thanks!!

Lol, so the Waa waa in my original post was me crying because temps went above freezing, but i will admit that i thought the warming was due to Warm Air Advecting in and not the LWR. I appreciate the quick Physics Lesson!

It honestly alluded me at first too, so don't feel bad! After I looked at IR satellite, it made more sense what was actually occurring.

Let this serve as a gentle reminder that the euro ice maps are fairly good vs the insane RGEM/CMC/NAM.

Back