• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It feeds the agenda to bury an important part of the data set. Slaves built the world. Not just America.
Unfortunately that is largely correct. Everything from the Egyptian Pyramids to the Great Wall to Mayan Temples to Roman architectural marvels to the early American Economy for starters.

Times are changing man. Racism just isn't going to cut it anymore. The monuments are coming down, the people are letting their will be known. Major corporations and businesses are rethinking how to address this. You are watching history being made. This time period will be studied for years.

Just something to think about though, are we going to be consistent and across the board? What about racism from and to other races. Are we going to pursue Native American symbols and portrayals as passionately? What about Mexican, since much of the West was taken from Mexico. What about racism against whites; it is also widespread. Our culture of full of perfectly acceptable slurs, slants, jokes, and generalizations about whites, including the idea that all whites are racist and or privileged. If we are truly hoping to change racism in this country, those need to be addressed just as directly.

Just something to think about though, are we going to be consistent and across the board? What about racism from and to other races. Are we going to pursue Native American symbols and portrayals as passionately? What about Mexican, since much of the West was taken from Mexico. What about racism against whites; it is also widespread. Our culture of full of perfectly acceptable slurs, slants, jokes, and generalizations about whites, including the idea that all whites are racist and or privileged. If we are truly hoping to change racism in this country, those need to be addressed just as directly.
You bring up a good point and yes I think it gains more traction for social change. One of the reasons I made the quoted post is that you are starting to see it being addressed internationally as well. There are articles last week and just today from CNN and Fox citing examples in other countries of it being addressed as a result of the unrest in America currently. As for the extent of it, I think it depends on how hard the offended parties care to push. Pretty sure I am not going to protest no matter how someone offends me.

I mean do we really need to wonder why they wont disclose who got all that money........this is our money we deserve to know how it is being spent, this just ties back into Trump's removal of IG's and his complete disdain for any kind of oversight into what he or his admin does....

No transparency — In a stunning move, the Trump administration is signaling that it won’t disclose the recipients of more than $500 billion in bailout money delivered to 4.5 million businesses through the PPP. Mnuchin says it’s “proprietary” and “confidential” information. The GAO told POLITICO that the Small Business Administration is also withholding PPP loan data the agency requested as part of its oversight efforts.

Seriously? The only" idiots" would be the ones who are not capable of understanding what he meant by SS, it sure as heck wasn't meant to read the Waffen SS. Plenty of things to jump on Trump about but if the average American tries to equate this with the German SS is beyond repair IMO. I mean he used the abbreviation for District of Columbia (DC) but I doubt anyone confused that to mean Dark Continent

No the only idiots are MAGAs like you who think it’s okay to spout acronyms from entities like the SS that were directly attributable to tens of millions of deaths in WW 2 and committed some of the worst atrocities in world history. Trump is clearly too stupid to figure out what SS means, or is extremely insensitive to a large chunk of the worlds population.

I mean do we really need to wonder why they wont disclose who got all that money........this is our money we deserve to know how it is being spent, this just ties back into Trump's removal of IG's and his complete disdain for any kind of oversight into what he or his admin does....

No transparency — In a stunning move, the Trump administration is signaling that it won’t disclose the recipients of more than $500 billion in bailout money delivered to 4.5 million businesses through the PPP. Mnuchin says it’s “proprietary” and “confidential” information. The GAO told POLITICO that the Small Business Administration is also withholding PPP loan data the agency requested as part of its oversight efforts.

I'm sure kushner inc got a huge chunk.

But does it hurt you in any way? What if someone is born that way? How can they help it?
LGBT is a choice. You chose to be Gay. Does it hurt me no but I don’t think it’s ok either. Because I feel bad because I don’t want anyone burning in hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just some thoughts on this.

The question of whether or not something hurts a person is not relevant to whether or not a person agrees with it. A person can disagree with something without it hurting them specifically. "How does it affect you or your marriage" is a common but irrelevant challenge to someone saying they disagree or don't support homosexuality.

No wow having said that, I do think there are ways that homosexuality affects all of us. First of all, let me say that the word "choice" here is often misconstrued. I think the word choice makes people think of a person sitting on a couch one day saying, "Hey should I be attracted to opposite sex people or same sex people today." But this is way too simplistic in thinking. I don't think we choose our attractions and feelings. People don't choose to be angry when someone hurts them, they don't choose to be sad when someone dies, they don't choose to be happy when something great happens. Feelings are a natural way of relating to and understanding our world and lives. Similarly, I think attractions aren't chosen, they naturally happen as we look or ways to relate others. But sexual attractions are different in that they address a different and very personal and intimate set of needs.

Why is heterosexual attraction the default? Basic biology can answer that. So where does homosexual attraction fit it? That is the debate. I am not aware of any real evidence that people are "born gay." There are a few theories, most of which have poor supporting evidence. Scientists have agreed there is no "gay gene" or genes. The most compelling theory is probably about people who developed with very irregular hormone levels, and even ambiguous genitalia. But, this would be a very small percentage of people who identify as LGBT. And, this would indicate that irregular hormone levels (and brain studies) show that these identifications would be a result of critical abnormalities, not a gene sequence or a random occurrence of being "born that way." What we do know (and have for many years) is that a very high number of individuals who identify as LGBT were exposed to very significant developmental, social, attachment, and/or emotional challenges. Rape, molestation, severe abuse (and not just sexual), extreme neglect, very poor attachment to parents, and even early sexual experience are a few that greatly contribute to sexual identity or orientation confusion and stress. Unfortunately, due to current political and cultural changes, we have now made it almost impossible for these individuals to work through their trauma and deal with their confusion, which is causing a tremendous amount of psychological and emotional harm to them. "Being molested as a child has nothing to do with your lack of attraction to (or specific attraction to) that gender, you were born that way, accept it." "Being completely neglected by your same sex parent has nothing to do with your need to connect with that gender, you were born that way."

Of course, not everyone suffering from these conditions come to identify as LGBT, but it always has consequences for that individual, including LGBT concerns for some. The "born that way" mantra now prevents many people from being able to truly explore the need we all have for intimate connections and understand how their experiences have helped shape their alternate attractions. They are left to try to satisfy them the best they can, but through the midst of trauma. Now, confusion is being weaved in to childhood and teen years by culture and the confusion element has been increased exponentially.

I don't think people "choose" who they are attracted to to satisfy their intimate needs, but they can clearly choose to act on them or not. As a married man, I have attraction to other women sometimes that I shouldn't act on, and don't. I may not choose that attraction, but I can certainly choose to act on it or not.

No the only idiots are MAGAs like you who think it’s okay to spout acronyms from entities like the SS that were directly attributable to tens of millions of deaths in WW 2 and committed some of the worst atrocities in world history. Trump is clearly too stupid to figure out what SS means, or is extremely insensitive to a large chunk of the worlds population.

You could make the same point without resorting to a condescending personal attack...

Just some thoughts on this.

The question of whether or not something hurts a person is not relevant to whether or not a person agrees with it. A person can disagree with something without it hurting them specifically. "How does it affect you or your marriage" is a common but irrelevant challenge to someone saying they disagree or don't support homosexuality.

No wow having said that, I do think there are ways that homosexuality affects all of us. First of all, let me say that the word "choice" here is often misconstrued. I think the word choice makes people think of a person sitting on a couch one day saying, "Hey should I be attracted to opposite sex people or same sex people today." But this is way too simplistic in thinking. I don't think we choose our attractions and feelings. People don't choose to be angry when someone hurts them, they don't choose to be sad when someone dies, they don't choose to be happy when something great happens. Feelings are a natural way of relating to and understanding our world and lives. Similarly, I think attractions aren't chosen, they naturally happen as we look or ways to relate others. But sexual attractions are different in that they address a different and very personal and intimate set of needs.

Why is heterosexual attraction the default? Basic biology can answer that. So where does homosexual attraction fit it? That is the debate. I am not aware of any real evidence that people are "born gay." There are a few theories, most of which have poor supporting evidence. Scientists have agreed there is no "gay gene" or genes. The most compelling theory is probably about people who developed with very irregular hormone levels, and even ambiguous genitalia. But, this would be a very small percentage of people who identify as LGBT. And, this would indicate that irregular hormone levels (and brain studies) show that these identifications would be a result of critical abnormalities, not a gene sequence or a random occurrence of being "born that way." What we do know (and have for many years) is that a very high number of individuals who identify as LGBT were exposed to very significant developmental, social, attachment, and/or emotional challenges. Rape, molestation, severe abuse (and not just sexual), extreme neglect, very poor attachment to parents, and even early sexual experience are a few that greatly contribute to sexual identity or orientation confusion and stress. Unfortunately, due to current political and cultural changes, we have now made it almost impossible for these individuals to work through their trauma and deal with their confusion, which is causing a tremendous amount of psychological and emotional harm to them. "Being molested as a child has nothing to do with your lack of attraction to (or specific attraction to) that gender, you were born that way, accept it." "Being completely neglected by your same sex parent has nothing to do with your need to connect with that gender, you were born that way."

Of course, not everyone suffering from these conditions come to identify as LGBT, but it always has consequences for that individual, including LGBT concerns for some. The "born that way" mantra now prevents many people from being able to truly explore the need we all have for intimate connections and understand how their experiences have helped shape their alternate attractions. They are left to try to satisfy them the best they can, but through the midst of trauma. Now, confusion is being weaved in to childhood and teen years by culture and the confusion element has been increased exponentially.

I don't think people "choose" who they are attracted to to satisfy their intimate needs, but they can clearly choose to act on them or not. As a married man, I have attraction to other women sometimes that I shouldn't act on, and don't. I may not choose that attraction, but I can certainly choose to act on it or not.
Good post.

Pretty sure that's what they were going for. The expansion created fears and emotion. Wide spread support (press) will wane and fringe elements will fade from relevance once some of the goals are met. Occupy Wall Street anyone?

That could happen, but probably the closer reality is when their demands fail to fix the problems and something like this happens again, we will end up in the same place with greater demands and greater irritation on everyone’s part.

The US Secret Service uses USSS for a reason when abbreviating their name.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back