• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Palm Sunday NC and VA Winter Storm

Well, we will see. I am further north so I might have a better shot. I just think Webber has done a good job pointing out the errors in the model outputs while others are just saying it is too warm based on what the models show. But some even still show at least some snow here.

I can understand why some think I'm on one side of the fence in that RDU will changeover to pure wet snow, but I've regularly mentioned and added in the fact that this could be mixed w/ sleet, graupel, and rain here and noted very early on the potential for mixed precipitation types because this was an in-situ CAD event that evolved into a synoptically driven CAD.

New HRRRX coming in colder on the 17z run
15z
hrrrx_ref_frzn_seus_14.png

17z
hrrrx_ref_frzn_seus_12.png

I can understand why some think I'm on one side of the fence in that RDU will changeover to pure wet snow, but I've regularly mentioned and added in the fact that this could be mixed w/ sleet, graupel, and rain here and noted very early on the potential for mixed precipitation types because this was an in-situ CAD event that evolved into a synoptically driven CAD.
I hear ya. I am juat saying anything wintry now is a big win. I would be happy just seeing anything besides rain.

Light rain and the temp has fallen back into the 40s at least.

I wonder if this could be a case where someone on the battle line between rain and snow could get a hefty thump of snow. Sometimes right on the line produces well.

Mom says they have a dusting in Stuart, VA. Just started coming down good.

It has been snowing off and on (mixed with rain at times) for over an hour but temps are too high for any stickage even on windshields or grassy areas even though it came down for hard for a time. This in in response to RC's post, I forgot to hit the quote button, oops

Here's my final snow/sleet accumulation map really tough forecast especially around the Triad but I think legitimate snow and sleet accumulations could occur along/NW of I-85 and the potential for any accumulation could extend as far south as Sanford, Lillington, and Smithfield although I don't think it's necessarily likely there. A good conservative, middle of the road scenario for Raleigh would be a dusting of snow and/or sleet.
March 24-25 2018 NC Snowmap Forecast.png

Last edited:
Sunny and 68 degrees. Has sprinkled a couple times today. Can confirm I don't believe we will be seeing any snow here!

Back