• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

@SD I have a hunch your station was reading like 12 degrees this morning or something :p . What was the morning low?
16 on the weatherflow 18 on my davis.

Interestingly the weatherflow fell quickly then leveled off while the Davis had a more gradual fall.

Last edited:
16 on the weatherflow 18 on my davis.

Interestingly the weatherflow fell quickly then leveled off while the Davis had a more gradual fall.
That sounds not as bad as I thought I legit believed you would report like 12 lol. Sounds reasonable , Sanford was 18 , Roxboro 19 , and Harnett county airport 24.

Almost...

1609008694965.png

1609008712905.png

prateptype.us_sc.png

prateptype.us_sc.png

sn10_acc.us_sc.png

High Christmas Day was 23.5 degrees and the low was 14 which actually happened last night around 10pm. Temps actually went up to 17 in the overnight hours before the sun came up and now sitting at 46. Even so last year I managed 13.6 for my lowest low and that was in mid November when winter pulled a head fake on us.

December's last cold rain?

Colder temperatures will arrive behind a Canadian front during
the day Wednesday and persistent cold advection will send temps
down into the 30s areawide by Thursday morning. Uncertainty on the
upper level trough position increases during this time range with
the NBM suggesting increasing snow potential Wednesday night.
Cluster analysis of the ensemble data indicate that about a third
of the members (half of them from the Euro) show a deeper and
slower trough which would increase the chance of precipitation in
the colder airmass.
Have included a slight chance mention of rain
and snow mix across the northeastern zones where the juxtaposition
of cold air and precip appears to be highest at this time.

It was a beautiful day for cutting firewood. 44 with a thawing ground, bluebird skies, and copious trees left by the hurricane. We had a huge flock of sandhill cranes fly over which is very odd this late in the year. Usually they have all passed south by early December.

I had a 2nd in a row night walk with it at quite an invigorating ~32 F, which is either at or just above the coldest I can recall for walks at this location. However, when considering wind chill, I’m assuming neither is the coldest as I’m sure I’ve walked here in 20s wind chills in the past and the last two days' walks had near calm winds.

This Dec has certainly been no ostrich and has actually been the opposite!

Last edited:
A very non warm December . For the first time in 15 years we did not have a day break 70 in RDU. Normally December sees 3 days above 70 with a mean max of 73. This year thanks to low energy weather as I like to call it and being screwed over with some sorta cold hole over Roxboro to RDU the warm day this month was only 69 . Last time we didn’t see 70 in December was 2005, 2 years after that though we hit 81 in December 2007!

Now the even more impressive news ! For the first year since 1956 we did not drop below 20! It has been 64 years ! We had other years such as 1949, 1939, 1931, 1915, 1913, 1911, and 1890 that did not drop below 20 the entire year . Used to be more common in the past, 2012 came close but it dropped to 19. We have had winters such as 2005-2006 not drop below 20 but years not since 1956. Looks like years that don’t drop below 20 happened close to each other in the past , yumm! Maybe more on the way. Mean minimum for December last 30 years is 20 , we dropped to that exactly this month which was also the coldest of the whole year.

A very non warm December . For the first time in 15 years we did not have a day break 70 in RDU. Normally December sees 3 days above 70 with a mean max of 73. This year thanks to low energy weather as I like to call it and being screwed over with some sorta cold hole over Roxboro to RDU the warm day this month was only 69 . Last time we didn’t see 70 in December was 2005, 2 years after that though we hit 81 in December 2007!

Now the even more impressive news ! For the first year since 1956 we did not drop below 20! It has been 64 years ! We had other years such as 1949, 1939, 1931, 1915, 1913, 1911, and 1890 that did not drop below 20 the entire year . Used to be more common in the past, 2012 came close but it dropped to 19. We have had winters such as 2005-2006 not drop below 20 but years not since 1956. Looks like years that don’t drop below 20 happened close to each other in the past , yumm! Maybe more on the way. Mean minimum for December last 30 years is 20 , we dropped to that exactly this month which was also the coldest of the whole year.
Don't sleep on not hitting 70 yet

This is cool, and great info! Thanks for digging this up!

In a very wet year, it does seem fitting we close it out with yet another heavy rainfall
CHA needs 1.09" to break the all-time record of 73.70" set in 1994. Looks like a very solid chance that we pull it off.

1609168825623.png

holy.....

edit: is the fact that both highs mentioned in that tweet formed in Siberia a coincidence? If not, why might that area get extremes like that?

What's even more amazing is they set some all time record high temps this summer..

Back