• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

The trends over SE Canada aren't the only thing improving on recent model runs: we're also getting a decent south/more N/S separation trend of our actual system, especially at the 850 mb level:
gfs_z850_vort_us_fh102_trend.gif
The position and intensity of this now-cutoff feature is incredibly important for our 850 mb temperatures. The further south and weaker this feature is, even while over the middle of the country, the better our 850 mb temperatures will be. Look at the wind barbs over our area north through the Ohio Valley-- southerly winds are weakening and/or turning easterly or even northerly. With the aid of increasing confluence (look at those heights over the NE drop), this will help prevent WAA or even drive some CAA before the arrival of the system. So keep that trend up and our onset air mass will be colder. The CMC, for instance, has this cutoff low weaker than the GFS and over N Texas, hence the good run.

Even if we can get this trend to continue, we're not going to be able to completely get rid of this feature. The best case scenario is that we get enough of a shift for a snow onset in west-central NC/upstate SC, but as this moves NW, a changeover to ice in favored CAD areas would ensue.

UK is really close to some big ice 8F468950-B431-486C-A487-121AC9B94422.jpegCADC9DD2-6AEE-4277-A75A-AAC95A515739.jpeg
its trending to more and more confluence, (worth noting it struggles with shallow cold air and that’s listed as one of its issues) 504DD59C-A052-4283-9D96-D18A38F6F549.gif

Attachments

• 91BE05F6-1928-4DA9-AF49-E24B953EDEA1.jpeg
    91BE05F6-1928-4DA9-AF49-E24B953EDEA1.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 32
Big thing here is the cold bias the cmc has. We need the GFS to come on board in some way. Because the CMC has tricked us before. However I am hopeful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big thing here is the cold bias the cmc has. We need the GFS to come on board in some way. Because the CMC has tricked us before. However I am hopeful
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cmc is trash for years on ice maps I repeat it every year. The issue is people want answers and we won’t have them until NAM comes into closer range and picks up on temps east of the mountains. Low level dry air will bring cold wintery precip. It’s hidden and will reveal itself in time. Euro does ok but NAM is better.

Cmc is trash for years on ice maps I repeat it every year. The issue is people want answers and we won’t have them until NAM comes into closer range and picks up on temps east of the mountains. Low level dry air will bring cold wintery precip. It’s hidden and will reveal itself in time. Euro does ok but NAM is better.
Yeah I bet the realistic scenario on the CMC is ice for 85/77 and north with snow Mainly in the mountains, it does have the best solution however

Back