• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

Would you rather have a -EPO with a +NAO/+AO with 50/50 lows that escape out due to no blocking orrrr a +EPO/-NAO/-AO thats often warmer

I’d rather have a +PNA first and foremost. The correlation to cold and also to snow is higher for that for ATL and many other areas of the SE US vs any other one index.

Reduced MJO activity is actually mostly a favorable thing vs high amp MJO for much of the SE US for cold, including ATL for sure. Also, just about every major ZR at ATL back to 2/1979 was when the MJO was weak (actually inside the circle just about every time). However, going against the chance for a major ZR there is that ENSO is not weak.

Last edited:
View attachment 56843
This is only the GFS, not sure what the Euro has. But until we get the stubborn MJO to not want to hang on the right of the circle in winter we'll struggle to get cold. It may want to head to ph 7 but who knows? I also see just as many wanting to loop right back to crap in 4 and 5. The NAO is saving our ass from torching right now but can't supply the cold we need. The Pac has to be somewhat favorable..

Well more than the longterm average of number of days of MJO phases 4 and 5 are favored this winter due to La Niña as well as a very warm Maritime Continent (Indonesia and vicinity), which is where 4/5 is actually located. That likely explains why the MJO is hanging out there so long this month. This includes 4/5 inside the circle.

Last edited:
Is this good? Asking for a friend.

View attachment 56907
“The fuller the tub, the bigger the slosh.”

-JB

Cold bottled at the pole. We battled that all of last winter. Looks like we’ll be begging for a sudden stratospheric warming event to dislodge it sometime in February if we’re lucky. At least we have something to track.

My problem with the icon is why it’s amping up The SW and slowing it down so much in the central US, that just gives time for our high pressure to leave 8C5F87A7-6DB6-4572-B163-FC48D09E7940.png

icon_asnow_seus_41.png
First strip alert!!

Back