• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern October Thread

So far, the stratus that was forecasted has held off. It's been mostly sunny all morning.

Not sure we're completely out of the woods yet though. A broken CU field might still attempt to fill in, at least briefly, over the next hour or two.

GFS has really been struggling with this feature to our NE, on the icon it cuts off the the west, makes me wonder if the GFS is to progressive with it on top the SER F88FA15A-CE0B-4A18-822A-95EAB926A9F5.gif

GFS has really been struggling with this feature to our NE, on the icon it cuts off the the west, makes me wonder if the GFS is to progressive with it on top the SER View attachment 93008
Yeah big difference in what the uk/euro/icon spit out of the western trough vs the gfs and cmc. Normally I'd go with the non north American models but since I would like rain gfs will win

I'm not even sure it matters for the south whether it's a warm or cold winter. Most people on here only care about snow and some of the snowiest winters I've seen were in very warm winters.
And cold and dry sucks- ?

Yeah what a change, I’m interested to see how the UK shows that piece of energy from the western trough in just a few minutes, if it slides on top the ridge it wedges us, if it’s cuts off to our west instead, we get possibly some severe wx A9CB82C2-2E4D-4206-84F7-83322BEAC4A0.png

Yeah what a change, I’m interested to see how the UK shows that piece of energy from the western trough in just a few minutes, if it slides on top the ridge it wedges us, if it’s cuts off to our west instead, we get possibly some severe wx View attachment 93013
Uk looks like the gfs

That may be true for Central Indiana, since "very warm" there is still cold.

Not so sure that applies to the South.
The thing about the south is that one storm a 10-14 period in an overall warm winter can give you well above average snowfall. For us in the Carolinas ‘87-88 and ‘99-2000 are remembered as well above average winters for snowfall in a lot of areas, but overall both of those winters were quite mild.

The thing about the south is that one storm a 10-14 period in an overall warm winter can give you well above average snowfall. For us in the Carolinas ‘87-88 and ‘99-2000 are remembered as well above average winters for snowfall in a lot of areas, but overall both of those winters were quite mild.

Perhaps, but those types of storms are rare in the first place.

For every year like the 2 you mentioned, they're easily outnumbered by winters like 2011-2012, or even 2007-2008 (which was very warm, but snowy only for the Great Lakes and NE).

Back