• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern October Thread

I bring this up as a novice, so feel free to correct me, but could the actual impact of that warm blob be that it's nearby the cold blob leading to increased low pressure systems generating along the temperature difference.

View attachment 92975

And as a result the Lows keep wanting to set the trough in Eastern Pac?
While it’s typically H5 then sfc, this is definitely a interesting take and one that does make sense, would probably at least think that would allow sfc low pressure that would then allow slightly lower heights then normal and a better environment where lower heights from other areas can slip in

Euro looked pretty decent for severe to our west
That euro run was pretty active those lightning density maps are lit up past day 5-6 from the southern plains to us, also that system that tries to get cutoff towards day 8-10 on models is interesting as well

While it’s typically H5 then sfc, this is definitely a interesting take and one that does make sense, would probably at least think that would allow sfc low pressure that would then allow slightly lower heights then normal and a better environment where lower heights from other areas can slip in
Indeed.

You can you see the pac warm pool reflected on the models as what has been a semi permanent ridge/recurring ridge.
cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1 (1).png
gfs_z500a_npac_12.png

This acts to A. Accelerate the jet as systems pass by
gfs_uv250_npac_13.png
B. Wave break near the WC
gfs_z500_mslp_npac_fh66-102.gif

Even Judah's optimism is resting on "Good thing the CFS Sucks"...

Edit: See Ya in March @Thor
I'm not even sure it matters for the south whether it's a warm or cold winter. Most people on here only care about snow and some of the snowiest winters I've seen were in very warm winters.

I'm not even sure it matters for the south whether it's a warm or cold winter. Most people on here only care about snow and some of the snowiest winters I've seen were in very warm winters.

That may be true for Central Indiana, since "very warm" there is still cold.

Not so sure that applies to the South.

How does it not make sense ? I think both 91-92 and 01-02 were warm winters yet very snowy. 2017-18 very warm but extremely snowy. I'm talking about Georgia.
See where u going with this. . And your correct, but I think it applies to more your area Midwest northern plains area, we’re u can be little warmer and get more snow .

How does it not make sense ? I think both 91-92 and 01-02 were warm winters yet very snowy. 2017-18 very warm but extremely snowy. I'm talking about Georgia.

Let's be real. It's about about timing here in the South. The jet stream dipping down at the right angle at the right time. Cooler than average winters just increase the odds a bit of a big snowstorm. Wasn't Texas warmer than average for December and January this year before they had a historic Feburary?

Let's be real. It's about about timing here in the South. The jet stream dipping down at the right angle at the right time. Cooler than average winters just increase the odds a bit of a big snowstorm. Wasn't Texas warmer than average for December and January this year before they had a historic Feburary?
Cooler than avg may increase odds a little but honestly I don't think it's a huge deal whether it's a warm or cold winter. We can score in a warm or cold winter and all it takes is for one snowstorm to make for a good winter in the south.

Back