• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 30-Dec 1 Flurries/Snow Showers

I actually think your on something here. I've been in a flizzard storm about 4 years ago in Pennsylvania and was forecast high winds with snow showers. When the showers came the wind came with it and it was kinda like a mini blizzard
The closest to white out conditions in a northwest flow snow event that I remember recently was in February 2016. Was a day with scattered snow showers around the area. By mid afternoon I remember a band coming through and the sky went dark and the winds picked up almost like an afternoon thunderstorm in the summer. Had some brief snow and sleet from it, but temperatures were in the mid 30s so it didn’t accumulate.

View attachment 54534
Is the 3k NAM showing lake effect snow? Looking at soundings this doesn't look realistic due to the lack of moisture in the DGZ.
It's still -7/8/9 at 850 you can probably get some flakes out of that. It might but be big puffy beauty's but maybe some of the smaller flakes

The closest to white out conditions in a northwest flow snow event that I remember recently was in February 2016. Was a day with scattered snow showers around the area. By mid afternoon I remember a band coming through and the sky went dark and the winds picked up almost like an afternoon thunderstorm in the summer. Had some brief snow and sleet from it, but temperatures were in the mid 30s so it didn’t accumulate.
I've seen it here in Chattanooga.. forget the year.. was in March and it would be sunny for 45 minutes, then snow heavy for 15.. Did this all afternoon.. Never came close to accumulating either. (Think it was 2014, late in the month).

Had a full on white out squall back in 89 or 90. I was in grade school and you could not see out the window for a few minutes. If i recall it was with a very powerful front.

Call me pessimistic, but I just don't see that happening anywhere east of the mountains. NW flows hardly ever produce the goods here unless we already have the cold air in place. Or maybe a random clipper. But even then, we still need the cold air in place. That's one of the many negatives to living east of the apps, unfortunately. By far the most painful example was December 2017. Never want to relive that crap again!
Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hours to receive the cold air in Charlotte compared to other places after frontal passage. I don't even think I've ever heard of a cold Chase the moisture equals snow event in Charlotte. It probably has happened, I'm just not aware

Back