• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 30-Dec 1 Flurries/Snow Showers

So what would the setup have to be for us to get a decent snow in the upstate? I know someone said the cold has to already be in place but it seems like even when that happens the low brings warm air which usually causes rain right at the I-85 line.

The simplest answer to this is that you need the low to track to your southeast, and you need cold air held in place by an arctic high to your north or northwest.

Reactions: SD
Which of these is the hardest to get the cold in place or the low tracking just right? Or is it just both happening at the same time?
Both, most of the time when you have the cold in place, you can have a pretty stout vortex in place with suppressed stuff, but when you have the storm track in place, sometimes it just lacks cold, most of the time for setups East of the mountains, you want a SE Canada vortex that’s moving out slowly, this allows high pressure on the backside which gives us cold air damming, then you need to time a southern wave right, that’s our best setups East of the mountains

Sucks that the Vortex in Canada is so weak here, If it was much stronger we’d be talking differently 949B1CC0-9879-419E-AA14-8352B560C6DB.png99C0331A-CD14-472C-913E-7469F5510BF3.png

Tuesday night is going to be a race against the clock here. How cold will it get before the winds shift from N to NNE. The forecasting error could be enormous as the model spread is gigantic for only a few days out with various models predicting lows as cold as 42F and as warm as 63F.

Tuesday night is going to be a race against the clock here. How cold will it get before the winds shift from N to NNE. The forecasting error could be enormous as the model spread is gigantic for only a few days out with various models predicting lows as cold as 42F and as warm as 63F.
I doubt you will see snow in Key Biscayne !

It's both happening at the same time that is rare.
I doubt you will see snow in Key Biscayne !

I will most definitely not see snow in Key Biscayne lol. There was some isolated flurries/sleet in 2010 which I didn't see as I was sleeping. Before that the great Miami blizzard of 1977 brought flurries to most of the metro area.

Honestly I just want 60's and sunshine, it's a realistic wish and would feel amazing after six months of relentless heat and humidity. The past week and a half has been a bit cooler but still crappy with 78/70 basically every day.

Here's what my climate looks like. Hopefully this makes you guys feel a bit better about where you live lol

w6RbnmR.png

Back