• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 30-Dec 1 Flurries/Snow Showers

According to the GFS ensemble, we may be about to see the first +2 sigma (or greater) PNA day in December for the first time since 2014 & only the 2nd time since 2001.

Wow

Is this due to that 120E forcing that HM kept mentioning back in October/early November ? Because it sure is paying off

Going off what Webber already talked about:
PNA - Going strongly positive (has been showing this for past few days)
NAO - Looks to go negative in LR (first real negative depiction by average)
AO - Looks to go negative in LR (first real negative depiction by average)
CPC - Climate Weather Linkage: Teleconnections (noaa.gov)

Is this due to that 120E forcing that HM kept mentioning back in October/early November ? Because it sure is paying off

Yeah it explains a large fraction of what we're seeing here imo, in early December 120E forcing is the antidote to getting rid of the SE US ridge. That changes as we go into mid-December however

Is this a good thing? I have no idea
namconus_z500a_us_53.png

Icon has highs in the mid to upper 30s..... and also fires of some interesting snow under the cold pocket aloft
View attachment 53342View attachment 53343
I mentioned this earlier but the soundings on the GFS are actually supportive of wet snow for most of the Piedmont and Upsate with this system. I have a feeling it will ultimately be determined by the track of the upper low and just what kind of precip rates we see.

I mentioned this earlier but the soundings on the GFS are actually supportive of wet snow for most of the Piedmont and Upsate with this system. I have a feeling it will ultimately be determined by the track of the upper low and just what kind of precip rates we see.
Wouldn’t shock me if it’s a bit Convective as well if we do indeed getting something with the cold pocket aloft itself

You really need to see the center of the upper low track just to your west & south to get the best chance to see the heaviest snow bands pivot over your location from wraparound moisture & lift in the elevated warm conveyor belt. March 12, 2018 is an example that immediately comes to mind for places just east of Raleigh as the center of an upper low went thru the midlands-lowlands of SC.

March 12 2018 NC Snowmap.png

You really need to see the center of the upper low track just to your west & south to get the best chance to see the heaviest snow bands pivot over your location from wraparound moisture & lift in the elevated warm conveyor belt. March 12, 2018 is an example that immediately comes to mind for places just east of Raleigh as the center of an upper low went thru the midlands-lowlands of SC.

View attachment 53345

I'm sure it's happened but I just don't recall too many snows this far east from an ULL, this one might be as close as it ever got. I'm an overrunning or coastal and the occasional overperforming clipper kind of sweet spot location. Lol

Gfs is going to be similar to the icon with the southern wave coming through first then the northern steam digging down the back and possibly closing off. Best chance of snow in that scenario is what webb laid out a few posts ago.

Gfs is going to be similar to the icon with the southern wave coming through first then the northern steam digging down the back and possibly closing off. Best chance of snow in that scenario is what webb laid out a few posts ago.

Yeah it close, areas west of the apps are cashing in this run so far A17C8A24-9C07-4AC2-9456-797BD105B5B9.pngEDFAFDAB-B2E4-4697-ADF2-4D4B8A641AE1.png

Yep just faster

Back