• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Naughty November

I would think that a warm winter could actually increase snow chances the further north you go, such as the Great Lakes and New England

Tell that to 2011-12
Or 2015-16. November 2015 was very warm, but December 2015 shattered records. December 2015 had an extended stretch of temperatures in the mid-70s the week of Christmas. We've had a lot of warm Decembers recently, but December 2015 was the warmest of all of them. That was a Super El Niño though, but we'll probably find a way to torch anyway

I would think that a warm winter could actually increase snow chances the further north you go, such as the Great Lakes and New England
I would think so. I'm not 100% but I think snowfall averages are up in the northern states even though they suffer AN temps most of the time too. Down here just sucks anymore. The southern fringes like us seem to be suffering the decline in snow. We've always been borderline on temps so the warming has put a hurting on us.

Or 2015-16. November 2015 was very warm, but December 2015 shattered records. December 2015 had an extended stretch of temperatures in the mid-70s the week of Christmas. We've had a lot of warm Decembers recently, but December 2015 was the warmest of all of them. That was a Super El Niño though, but we'll probably find a way to torch anyway
We havent had a cold December since 2010 regardless of what November does.

I honestly enjoyed 11-12. Didn't have any letdowns. No fantasy storms. It was boring but at least you knew what to expect. For me, 14-15 was way worse. Lots of cold, lots of precip, and nothing to show for it. I will take 11-12 over 14-15 any day at least from my experience in the deep south.

GSP (and I'd wager many locations across the south) are going to be challenging max low temp records for eary-mid November in the next 7-10 days

2015 / 2016 was a very warm winter here, but the massive snow storm in late January gave the middle Tennessee area its biggest snows in more than a decade. I ended up with 12 inches of snow from that storm alone and 2 inches from another snow in February. Very warm winter turned into one of the best in my 14 years of living here. The 14 / 15 winter, the 2010 / 2011 winter and the winter I just mentioned are my top 3 in the years I lived here. I’m not sure which one ends up number 1 as the 2016 winter was one massive snow and one decent snow. The 2010 / 2011 winter was multiple 2-4 inch snow storms from mid December until mid February but never had one over 4 inches and most were under 3. Just about every 2 weeks that winter we had snows that covered everything and gave a slight taste of what living further north is like each winter.

Even with Global Warming there have been months of below normal. Why is it harder to get below normal in December than any other month ?
Statistics , you can flip heads 10 times straight though extremely improbable ( we haven’t had 10 straight above normal December’s by the way either !).

Back