• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Muddy March 2021

I’m actually saying that the gfs model was upgraded at 12z yesterday, I wouldn’t look at runs from the older version of the gfs.

I posted another reply without seeing this. I do know the new gfs is supposed to be much more sensitive for tropical development. Looks like we have a good example on its very first day!

I posted another reply without seeing this. I do know the new gfs is supposed to be much more sensitive for tropical development. Looks like we have a good example on its very first day!

More sensitive for tropical dev, which includes more false alarms than the prior version. Just when we got a version that didn’t keep spitting out a bunch of fakes. :rolleyes:

To give a good example of the new GFS reducing the cold bias of the prior version:

Yesterday’s 6Z GFS, the last run of the old version, along with prior runs all had only 68-69 for a high at KSAV yesterday:

The first new version run, yesterday’s 12Z, had 73 and the 18Z of yesterday had 74. The actual high was 78:

So, during the very short term, the old version runs were too cold with KSAV Monday high by a whopping 9-10! The first two new GFS runs were too cold by “only” 4-5. So, a nice reduction in cold bias there.

By the way, the warmer new version GFS runs had nothing to do with cloud cover, as that was similar on the runs of both versions.

Can't miss a tropical threat if everything is a tropical threat ?

Hopefully they didn’t create another Crazy Uncle, Bastardi’s nickname for an older version of the CMC which had so many fake TCs that it became a laughingstock. It kind of is intuitive that a warmer GFS version would have more TC geneses.

We’ll know if @Ollie Williams follows them in one of his threads.

We don’t wanna push for these warm patterns too much. Soon it won’t be spring but summer and those warm pattern will give u tons of heat and humidity and 0 storm activity .. that is the dreaded combo
Meh if we get stuck in a SER then there would probably be storms but a huge ridge East of the Rockies like how some modes have in the LR = no rain

Back