• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May Thread

Why does everything have to be a freaking debate? Nobody said we're in a significant drought and I haven't seen anyone say we're headed for that. But some people are having to water gardens or yards already, which isn't a disaster but isn't debatable either. And when I posted I only received x amount of rain, that's not really a complaint as much as stating a fact about the weather in my area on a weather board. ?‍♂️
Wasn’t debating anything lol just said this drought ain’t nothing compared to previous droughts which is an accurate statement. Cheers

Cloud debris got us again, as DFW ended up 1 degree shy of today's record high (95°F).

I noticed heat and dry stress on grasses today. If we are being really honest about it 2 inches of rain in the last 30 days isn't enough regardless of the drought monitor when we have basically seen wall to wall sun and had such a long period of low dews. It'll keep things green but it's can kicking again

I noticed heat and dry stress on grasses today. If we are being really honest about it 2 inches of rain in the last 30 days isn't enough regardless of the drought monitor when we have basically seen wall to wall sun and had such a long period of low dews. It'll keep things green but it's can kicking again
Nah, it's not a real drought unless there is tumbleweed blowing across the yard, skull bones along side the road and a shortage of baby formula. Oh, wait.....

Nah, it's not a real drought unless there is tumbleweed blowing across the yard, skull bones along side the road and a shortage of baby formula. Oh, wait.....
This is why there are always debates. You were wanting to know yesterday.

I mean I get what people are saying regarding the drought monitor and whatever else but is hard to use the drought monitor in the convective season when local conditions vary so significantly. If for a month straight our backyards received 0 or fraction inch rains while everyone from your area to mind received normal rainfall I doubt the drought monitor picks that up and instead broad brushes the normal rainfall

Maybe it was different for everybody else, or maybe our perceptions of things change because we're older now, but I have lived in NC my whole life and I don't remember very many summers where we didn't have to water the garden or walk through a yard where the grass was dry. We almost always have multiple yearly periods where it's hot and dry during the summers.

That is typical. I'm with you that it sucks. I wish it would be cool and rain every other day. But it seems far-fetched to expect that to be the norm.

Related to this, the constant sarcasm in the weather threads has become ridiculous. And I have engaged in it too. I'm ridiculous. But all this drought vs no drought hot maps vs cold maps wen hot wen cold wen snow tumbleweeds 384 gfs 7" rain maps to prove some kind of a point is ridiculous. I'm sorry for engaging in it. It's valueless. All of it.

Some of it is just kidding and some of it is just jabbing. And some of it gets people riled up and then there are arguments and resentment. We all know each other and what kind of weather we like. I'm sorry for poking at others who want something different than what I want. Sincerely, I mean that.

Maybe it was different for everybody else, or maybe our perceptions of things change because we're older now, but I have lived in NC my whole life and I don't remember very many summers where we didn't have to water the garden or walk through a yard where the grass was dry. We almost always have multiple yearly periods where it's hot and dry during the summers.

That is typical. I'm with you that it sucks. I wish it would be cool and rain every other day. But it seems far-fetch to expect that to be the norm.

Related to this, the constant sarcasm in the weather threads has become ridiculous. And I have engaged in it too. I'm ridiculous. But all this drought vs no drought hot maps vs cold maps wen hot wen cold wen snow tumbleweeds 384 gfs 7" rain maps to prove some kind of a point is ridiculous. I'm sorry for engaging in it. It's valueless. All of it.
I'm guilty too but it gets frustrating. It's not that I don't expect a hot dry stretch those are basically a given for us. It's the fact that they happen more often than not and likely due partially to the fact we have boards now and get to see how many others receive copious rainfall just a few miles away. I looked back at my personal data a few weeks ago from when I moved into a house in 2015 until last summer and I only had 2 that were at or above normal rain for JJA including 2 real duds where i got less than 4 inches. That sucks and it wears on me. If I walked out of JJA with 10-15 inches of rain spread somewhat equally I would be happy

I'm guilty too but it gets frustrating. It's not that I don't expect a hot dry stretch those are basically a given for us. It's the fact that they happen more often than not and likely due partially to the fact we have boards now and get to see how many others receive copious rainfall just a few miles away. I looked back at my personal data a few weeks ago from when I moved into a house in 2015 until last summer and I only had 2 that were at or above normal rain for JJA including 2 real duds where i got less than 4 inches. That sucks and it wears on me. If I walked out of JJA with 10-15 inches of rain spread somewhat equally I would be happy

A few years back there was literally like a 10-15" rainfall total difference in just parts Pitt Co. most of that came in a few summer months.....

It’s wild how brown everything has gotten here in the last 7 days. Worst I’ve seen in a long time. Especially for May. Need rain.
Baby needs formula, yard needs rain, jimmy needs shreks.... you are so SOL!

That is typical. I'm with you that it sucks. I wish it would be cool and rain every other day. But it seems far-fetched to expect that to be the norm.

Some of it is just kidding and some of it is just jabbing. And some of it gets people riled up and then there are arguments and resentment. We all know each other and what kind of weather we like. I'm sorry for poking at others who want something different than what I want. Sincerely, I mean that.
Yeah totally agree. I certainly engage in it, heck I started this one lol. Like the tumbleweeds shout out though, thanks :cool:

Back