• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

May be?

No frost around here. So much for the big freeze down this way. At least the models haven't forgotten how to do winter forecasting right!
I personally thought the models were too warm the runs yesterday were right around 40. The real bust was dew points they never fell into the low-mid 20s, check out the gfs and 3k forecast from 12z saturday for 6z this morning. gfs_Td2m_seus_4 (1).png
nam3km_Td2m_seus_16.png
Rdu verified at 34 and mby 35 around this time. I'm not complaining but we never had the super low floor the models were showing so most of us fell into the mid to upper 30s rapidly and once the wind started moving a little around 4am that was it for the temp fall and temps just held steady. Real crisis averted, imo if we had dews in the 20-25 range we would have easily seen lows 26-32 area wide, there was nothing stopping the free fall from sunset until the wind started

Last edited:
Looks like GSO/RDU both bottomed about at 36. Asheboro bottomed our at 33, though, so outside the UHI frost/freeze was more of an issue.

Looks like GSO/RDU both bottomed about at 36. Asheboro bottomed our at 33, though, so outside the UHI frost/freeze was more of an issue.
What is it with greensboro, it oftentimes will record higher lows than RDU. Think in april we got a freeze and they didnt drop below 36. The normal cool spots like sanford and Roxboro all hit 32 . Not sure as much about UHI at RDU, dew point was above freezing there so that stopped it. Where as dew-points in greensboro very much supported a freeze as they were around 30.

What is it with greensboro, it oftentimes will record higher lows than RDU. Think in april we got a freeze and they didnt drop below 36. The normal cool spots like sanford and Roxboro all hit 32 . Not sure as much about UHI at RDU, dew point was above freezing there so that stopped it. Where as dew-points in greensboro very much supported a freeze as they were around 30.
Not sure. RDU even beat GSO for the all-time record low set back in 1985.

mint.19850121.gif

It would be cool to see something like that again someday, but I don’t know if it’s in the cards.

Not sure. RDU even beat GSO for the all-time record low set back in 1985.

mint.19850121.gif

It would be cool to see something like that again someday, but I don’t know if it’s in the cards.
The really amazing thing about that cold snap was the daytime temperature drop that occurred on the 20th. CLT went from a high of 41 at 6am to single digits by mid-afternoon. It was a Sunday and even walking into church around 9am it was still in the 30s, so it was too bad. When coming out at 11:30 it was 20 degrees colder with a sub zero windchill and it had snowed a quick half inch or so

How can Hogtown complain with a May 10th 1:45 PM temp of 66º with a projected high of 73º? Honestly, one can't (IMBY anyways) ... ?

Three more days of this great pattern! I'll enjoy every bit of it before the heat comes in bigtime and will likely dominate the subsequent 120+ days. I'm very thankful we got/are getting this refreshing interlude.

Back