• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations May 22 - 31 Soaker + Alberto Event Observations

Have struggled to get just over an inch for the storm. This one, here, has been an embarrassment to the name :) They should have retired Alberto back in 74. Got some more gulf stuff coming up so maybe I'll get some more, but these clumps could easily miss, unlike a spiral arm. Hope I get some training. I need more rain so I can enjoy a cool summer, lol. I want 10 to 12 for a two week period, and I'm 4 and some change short.

Last night I got lucky with 2 showers, one quite heavy, that put down a total of 1/2"+. This last half of May has turned out to be one of the wettest here on record with 5/16-28 in 6th place going back to 1871:

Wettest 5/16-28
2017: 8.73"
1934: 8.36"
2016: 6.61"
1959: 6.55"
2009: 6.29"
2018: 5.36"

Note that the last 3 Mays have been among the 6 wettest during 5/16-28! Also, note that only 3.43" is the normal for the entire month.

Last edited:
Have struggled to get just over an inch for the storm. This one, here, has been an embarrassment to the name :) They should have retired Alberto back in 74. Got some more gulf stuff coming up so maybe I'll get some more, but these clumps could easily miss, unlike a spiral arm. Hope I get some training. I need more rain so I can enjoy a cool summer, lol. I want 10 to 12 for a two week period, and I'm 4 and some change short.
I'm sitting at average thus far in the 2018 rainfall department. I don't want it to go from 80 to 98 and sit there for 3 months but I'm afraid it will...

I'm sitting at average thus far in the 2018 rainfall department. I don't want it to go from 80 to 98 and sit there for 3 months but I'm afraid it will...
Kyle, what's sobering to me is the fact my friend 4 or 5 miles west has less the 2 inches over the same period I've had a bit over seven, and more coming up now. Hit and miss like this won't translate into cooler temps I'm afraid. I'd be fine if he was in the 90's (he likes hot weather) and I'm in the 80's with my damp ground, lol, but I kinda don't think that's going to happen. Now if 70's and 80's trained like rain does, I'd be golden, lol. I'd love to see a truly polka dotted temp map in summer....80's leaping over dry spots in the 90's, but I won't hold my breath :)
Delta, I see you down there....how much have you had in the last 10 days?

Shetley summer drought is a bust. This rain is relentless. Although, I need some drought conditions if I’m ever going to get a 40 hour work week in again :(

Shetley summer drought is a bust. This rain is relentless. Although, I need some drought conditions if I’m ever going to get a 40 hour work week in again :(
Got about 1” so far today! Looks like I’m about to get into some training

Tornado confirmed by law enforcement in Cramerton,NC! That’s right between Gastonia and CLT! Basically right where I grew up!!

405F2D50-AD91-4AF6-BEDA-78864B683128.png Dang! Mtns taking on the chin!

27C8E5F7-26DF-4102-9620-B86E298FDC3A.png Radar from Cramerton tornado!

Back