• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry March 8th Winter Weather Discussion/Obs (NC/VA)

BirdManDoomW

WilkesboroDude
Reaction score
High end potential from the NWS is 3-6” of snow for south-west VA. 2” is shown for the NC foothills (Mount Airy) albeit low odds. I would think if a storm is ever going to perform it’s going to be on the tail end of arctic air like we are experiencing this week. Timing and moisture could provide a thump as far east as the northern piedmont counties of NC. I think sleet or mix could occur for Winston-Salem and Greensboro before going to rain.

New GFS has sleet mix all the way to the South Carolina state line. Albeit nothing major. Sparta, NC is absolutely hammered.

18z FV3 and GFS bring snow out of the foothills to Statesville/Winston corridor.

NWS Raleigh has less than 1” of snow for Forsyth and the VA border counties on their high end map. I would agree being further east hurts because of delayed arrival time. Faster trends could help everyone.

New GFS has sleet mix all the way to the South Carolina state line. Albeit nothing major. Sparta, NC is absolutely hammered.
We will be shut down for months!☹️

Lol no wonder NAM shows snow into nc now, low track suppressed a bit and weak CAD has strengthened slightly past runs and now a 1030 HP 94DEF5C7-A7CE-4467-A76C-A6ADB5782B1D.gif

Lol no wonder NAM shows snow into nc now, low track suppressed a bit and weak CAD has strengthened slightly past runs and now a 1030 HP View attachment 17462
Yeah, but that probably delays onset!? If this isn’t timed perfectly, it’s a Mt Mitchell-Boone special

Yeah, but that probably delays onset!? If this isn’t timed perfectly, it’s a Mt Mitchell-Boone special

Yeah idc about this event lol, just pointing that out, and I guess yeah if it continues to trend that way, mountains are #winning

The NAMs have been real jumpy and spotty. It will be interesting after this one to see what was right. ICON has been coldest/snowiest up here in spite of it normally being the warm one. we'll see. Fine line between cold and dry and too late and too far north.

Think I just got Nam'd. Looks colder and juicer for my area. Do I trust it. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately probably not.... with that said, the NAM definitely came in colder. The column supports snow out that way but is it right? It's shown this a couple of times now so interesting to see if those trends continue. I guess NW piedmont could see a few flakes out of it

snku_acc.us_ma.png

Nice to have the NAM on my side this close; at the very least I expect to see flakes falling tomorrow morning--something I didn't see in February.

Back