• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

What time do you give for that squall line working through RDU area?

Earliest it would probably arrive is ~6pm or so. Basically around sunset for the Triangle area, and that's typically when the tornado threat is the highest as the low-level jet starts to intensify and storms have had the most time to mature

It's so bizarre how these wedges work. GSP shot up the most in temp in less than 2 hours after being stuck in the low 50's. CLT wasn't as quick to warm up, but we managed to and things are clearing out. And the NW Triangle is still wedged in. These wedge severe weather setups are no joke in the Upstate and Southern Piedmont.

Mid and upper 60s starting by to work there way in to my area now. Sun is about to pop out , can really see the shine through in the clouds.

Last edited:
Can tell right off the bat that supercells today will probably be more mini/low topped in nature (which models struggle to show UH wise), may be some deeper updrafts later tho as instability increases

Yep lol exactly what I talked about yesterday wrt interpreting UH tracks & sim reflectivity from the CAMs. These fields on the models w/ 3km resolution are just easily influenced by storm size as they are the actual conditions and the lack of them on a model doesn't necessarily equate to a bust or crappy environment. You can just have a ton of smaller supercells that are harder for the models to resolve and as these cells grow upscale, the model errors may become exceptionally large.

Suns out bois I feel it on my cheeks . Thinking about going to Wilson this evening and getting Parker’s and chasing . Ain’t but 20 minutes away.

Yep lol exactly what I talked about yesterday wrt interpreting UH tracks & sim reflectivity from the CAMs. These fields on the models w/ 3km resolution are just easily influenced by storm size as they are the actual conditions and the lack of them on a model doesn't necessarily equate to a bust or crappy environment. You can just have a ton of smaller supercells that are harder for the models to resolve and as these cells grow upscale, the model errors may become exceptionally large.

I was just about to ask that since a large number of the mitigating factors IE longer wedging, lack of instability seem to now be more clear and primed then what's to stop these cells from growing and becoming larger supes as they encounter the better environment of the Midlands and central and eastern NC? What mitigating factors are left to get in the way

I was just about to ask that since a large number of the mitigating factors IE longer wedging, lack of instability seem to now be more clear and primed then what's to stop these cells from growing and becoming larger supes as they encounter the better environment of the Midlands and central and eastern NC? What mitigating factors are left to get in the way
Let’s chase brother. Wayne county let’s do it

Sleet City -

Don't you think the cells that will affect us directly are in the Hartwell, GA area right now (based on your last radar post)? So probably 1-2 hours away? Lots of time for continued heating.
I’m not sure. It’s tough to tell, I wanna say the big one in Greenville will cut just north, so somewhere in between that and hartwell will probably impact here

also, this just popped ahead of the line
BB081C33-08F2-4BC4-987B-067E88FB1B03.jpg

Back