• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

Wedges don't even "save" us in the winter, lol. But I really don't see it saving us. I see it creating more issues depending on where that boundary sets up.
Yeah the wedge isn’t a savior it just enhances the severe weather when it moves over that boundary ... this starting to look increasingly bad for the i64 corridor

We'll have to see how long it takes for the clouds to clear and how much we warm up tomorrow. Hopefully it takes longer to happen than forecasted like it does a lot of times around here, or we get some small storms earlier in the day to prevent us from getting the big ones.

Yeah the wedge isn’t a savior it just enhances the severe weather when it moves over that boundary ... this starting to look increasingly bad for the i64 corridor

As I mentioned before- I think the border counties, so pretty much the CLT metro to the Triangle and south are where the biggest threat of tornadoes exists. I have lived here since 2003. I like to think I know enough of our local climatology to have a basic idea of how things play out. It's like winter except just reverse it. Area's that do well in wedge events may escape the worst of it. But area's that normally end up with cold rain are the areas to watch. But I wouldn't even let my guard down if I lived in the Triad. The SPC has done pretty well these last few events.

HRRR is rapidly growing parameters at the end of each new run that comes in... not good cause there is even ore convection.. looks like it doesn’t matter

Am I the only person that thinks we should probably see an uptick in activity on the 0z models or tomorrow may end up more tame than expected

I would never question your expertise but I would think this is going to be dependent on the warm front and where that boundary sets up. It could turn into more of a nowcasting event, IMO.

Reactions: SD
I mean the soundings are fairly impressive but so far I'm not blown away by many of the sim reflectivity products. I think so far between 12 and 18z runs the most concerning I've seen is the NMM

Also, we usually bust on the low end whenever we have a big threat around here the last few years. 2011 was the exception. Seems like all the severe events since then have been very isolated in nature.

I would never question your expertise but I would think this is going to be dependent on the warm front and where that boundary sets up. It could turn into more of a nowcasting event, IMO.
Yeah I think so too. Don't get me wrong I don't think the threat is zero but I'm questioning big time coverage

Also, we usually bust on the low end whenever we have a big threat around here the last few years. 2011 was the exception. Seems like all the severe events since then have been very isolated in nature.
I mean we aren't exactly a severe weather hot bed so that makes sense

Yeah I think so too. Don't get me wrong I don't think the threat is zero but I'm questioning big time coverage

It's an interesting setup for sure. But as I alluded to before this reminds me of Feb of last year. Except I think we will have more CAPE than we had last year. And remember those tornadoes tore through CLT before noon. Not saying that's going to happen this go around, but it's something to watch. It's been a long time since I've heard the SPC use wording like they did today. Of course, it's subject to change. Like any forecast is. And as far as speed is concerned, Brad P said it best. It's like turning on Google navigation. Time of arrival will change based on many factors. So, just because it may appear to be ahead of schedule right now doesn't mean it's going to maintain the same speed going forward.

Back