• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

I’ll have to look into it more, but it just seems odd to me to see the UH drop off as the storms approach the Carolinas and the Sim radar matches as well. The UH tracks of the 3km NAM/HRRR have been very good at depicting the area of highest tornado activity and supercells that we are seeing in AL, MS and surrounding areas. I’m interested to see how tomorrow plays out across the area and how quickly the airmass will juice up too.

UH tracks are just as easily influenced by storm size as they are the environment. Small supercells with even smaller mesocyclones aren't gonna show up on models w/ 3km grid spacing

UH tracks are just as easily influenced by storm size as they are the environment. Small supercells with even smaller mesocyclones aren't gonna show up on models w/ 3km grid spacing

It's probably been 12 orso years now but there was an early May tornado outbreak over central eastern NC that were mostly small supercells. Cant remember the year but the storms were tiny.

Hit 62 in Raleigh! Wayyy higher than short range models had. What does that mean for tomorrow ? We will probably very successfully clear out the CAD.
Clouds made a comeback here, albeit briefly. They are clearing again. I don't think we'll have any problems pushing the warm sector outta here tomorrow.

RAP doest even really have much in Charlotte however it does for areas East

I doubt we'll see anything here tomorrow like what is happening today. Probably some very isolated severe storms, but I doubt we'll have an outbreak. Just doesn't happen often around here.

The cool air will not move out of the area from Atlanta up the I-85 corridor up to the Triad, including the GSP and Charlotte metros. The warm air probably will not even make it to the southeast fringe of the GSP CWA. Chances of severe weather will be very low because of this for many of us. These wedge fronts never come as far north as modeled.

RAP doest even really have much in Charlotte however it does for areas East

I can't imagine that given this setup that the RAP is correct on that scenario playing out. Unless we end up wudged, which seems unlikely. That would be a huge bust by the SPC and most other media outlets. Not that we have ever busted, but this is way too much of a volatile setup to completely escape. We had a lot less in February last year to work with and we ended up getting smacked. We shall see...

The cool air will not move out of the area from Atlanta up the I-85 corridor up to the Triad, including the GSP and Charlotte metros. The warm air probably will not even make it to the southeast fringe of the GSP CWA. Chances of severe weather will be very low because of this for many of us. These wedge fronts never come as far north as modeled.

Yeah... okay. That's why the whole forecast area you mentioned is at either an enhanced or moderate risk, with the SE portion possibly being upgraded to high risk by tonight. It's okay to make predictions but to completely dismiss how severe this could play out is irresponsible.

Yeah... okay. That's why the whole forecast area you mentioned is at either an enhanced or moderate risk, with the SE portion possibly being upgraded to high risk by tonight. It's okay to make predictions but to completely dismiss how severe this could play out is irresponsible.
Of course if the cool air moves out it'll be rough, but I just do not see it happening. This rain now will help lock the cool air in place. Places from Macon GA over to Augusta northeast though Columbia to Raleigh will be in the warm air and have a rough time of it. The really warm and juicy air is still well south in GA and not really anywhere in SC yet. Even NE Alabama is wedged in.

Just an FYI.. the wedge front is progged to make it's charge this evening into the overnight which is why where that warm front is will be a corridor where long track supercells could get going and front ride along it... The warm front isn't even progged to clear my area until after midnight...

Just an FYI.. the wedge front is progged to make it's charge this evening into the overnight which is why where that warm front is will be a corridor where long track supercells could get going and front ride along it... The warm front isn't even progged to clear my area until after midnight...

Took the words right out of my mouth. That warm front will be lifting northward over the overnight hours and like you said it isn't even progged to get up to CLT until the wee early morning hours. CLT is literally in the worse spot because we are always the first to warm up while GSP-Triad-and the NW Triangle are the last to warm up. Not sure where this guy has been all winter...

Back