• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Milton

But is it possible for somewhere right along the coast where it made landfall to record 120 mph sustained winds ?

Very doubtful. The highest winds aloft per HH were 108-115knots on the SE side of the storm. This part of the storm was pretty much destroyed by dry air which would limit the transfer down to the surface.

Probably much rougher overall around Tampa wind wise.

Here is a perspective from an AmericanWx poster (WxWatcher007) who I feel based on posts over the years is typically pretty objective as in being neither a hypester nor a downplayer:

“Pretty surprised there aren’t more surge monitors along the coast, but the final numbers will be sorted out. It still looks to me like a very high impact major Hurricane from the limited information I’ve seen—from surge at the coast, to wind speed/duration St Petersburg east across the peninsula, to exceptional rainfall, and a prolific tornado outbreak.”

“Not necessarily the worst case given the surge in Tampa Bay, but very high impact. It’s only the…people that wanted to see Tampa get slabbed that will say it wasn’t too bad.”

Last edited:
And one more poster from there who I feel summed it up pretty well, NorthHillsWx (NC poster):

“That is a devastating surge, it just wasn’t over as broad an area as we feared. As for inland winds, honestly the number of 100+ mph gusts is impressive. Certainly an area with plenty of observation locations but getting 80-90 mph gusts on east coast is super impressive and shows how the jet aided this storm even though the tropical core collapsed. Seeing those extremely strong backside winds almost no rain falling is absolutely a sign this was losing it’s tropical characteristics at landfall and drier air and the collapsing core pulled those winds in and kept them going inland.

Overall, what I’ve seen sounds like intensity was accurate. This was likely verified as a low-end 3. Surge was probably a little less than most majors we’ve seen recently simply bc it had a small core especially in the part that created the surge (southern side). Wind damage is extensive and power outages are extreme. The tornado outbreak was one of the most severe in history for a tropical system. Very damaging major hurricane strike and hoping loss of life was kept to a minimum as Florida is excellent at preparing for these things.”

intelligent, measured takes today. i agree with all- not the worst case but tell that to the tropicana field grounds crew. the eyewall riding i-4 will probably created a lot of nuisance level wind damage from coast to coast

good idea also to withhold takes about storm surge until we have more dispatches from some of the barrier islands

I posted earlier about the record high rainfall at St. Petersburg for any day in history back to 1916. Here’s the official NWS release about the 18.54” which has history slightly further back (to 1914). This is interesting because they noted the previous record from 8/2/1915, 15.45”. That extreme an amount seemed to be very localized based on a much lower amount at Tampa and other cities. It was a result of storm #1 that had a landfall at Titusville with it recurving well E of St. Pete:

IMG_0456.png

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY FL
400 AM EDT THU OCT 10 2024

..WETTEST DAY ON RECORD AT SAINT PETERSBURG

..RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT SAINT PETERSBURG

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 18.54 INCHES WAS SET AT SAINT PETERSBURG
YESTERDAY. THIS BROKE THE OLD DAILY RECORD FOR OCTOBER 9TH OF
1.56 INCHES SET IN 1953.

THIS ALSO SET A NEW DAILY RECORD FOR ANY DAY OF THE YEAR BREAKING
THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 15.45 INCHES SET ON AUGUST 2, 1915. RECORDS
IN SAINT PETERSBURG BEGAN ON AUGUST 1, 1914.

Has anyone seen any images of damage representative of anything greater than a TS? Trying to get a gauge on what the reclassification will be.
Would you stop it? The freakin roof was blown off of Tropicana Field. I don’t really know if you’re just trying to troll or not

Back