• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Milton

the usual suspects- dry air and shear. i still maintain that when this thing deteriorates it will deteriorate fast

you can feel it in the air this morning. woke up and the house was sitting at 65 (no heat on). i think it's inevitable dry air gets ingested tomorrow on the southeast side- all models show this- the question to me is how long it can maintain its structural integrity
View attachment 152900
the impacts will be similar but i don't agree verbatim with the "the impacts will be the exact same" message- personally i think there's a big difference between a ragged but intact storm coming ashore vs. a half-icane that has been decaying for a little bit
Agreed. I think too much is made of storm size in regards to surge potential. Will more areas be affected by surge in a big storm with a long fetch? Sure. But you really need those cat 4+ max winds in the eyewall to push a 12-15ft+ storm surge.

This is setting up to be a widespread 6-9 foot surge which will be very bad, but I don’t think 12-15ft materializes anywhere unless the southern eyewall stays in tact(not likely).

Agreed. I think too much is made of storm size in regards to surge potential. Will more areas be affected by surge in a big storm with a long fetch? Sure. But you really need those cat 4+ max winds in the eyewall to push a 12-15ft+ storm surge.

This is setting up to be a widespread 6-9 foot surge which will be very bad, but I don’t think 12-15ft materializes anywhere unless the southern eyewall stays in tact(not likely).
While the southern eyewall may not make it, the eastern eyewall will likely be bolstered upon landfall by frictional convergence at the surface and for TB that may be enough

While the southern eyewall may not make it, the eastern eyewall will likely be bolstered upon landfall by frictional convergence at the surface and for TB that may be enough

Yeah I'm curious if that left turn happens as it approaches the coast. It's been hinted at on several runs and that could be worst case scenario for Tampa if it happens. They definitely aren't out of the woods yet

Yea, if you’re looking for worst case scenario that would probably be it. Tampa Bay is oriented perfectly to funnel in water from an eastern eyewall impact.

Yeah I'm curious if that left turn happens as it approaches the coast. It's been hinted at on several runs and that could be worst case scenario for Tampa if it happens. They definitely aren't out of the woods yet
right turn you mean?

tbh that's our best hope, any "turn" isn't because of synoptics, it's because the storm has weakened so much that the llc has decoupled from the mid level circulation and is getting steered by the trades instead of the trough

Water vapor

900x540.jpg

NHC. 10 am

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 08/1500Z 22.7N 88.4W 130 KT 150 MPH
12H 09/0000Z 23.6N 87.2W 130 KT 150 MPH
24H 09/1200Z 25.2N 85.5W 125 KT 145 MPH
36H 10/0000Z 26.8N 83.8W 110 KT 125 MPH
48H 10/1200Z 28.1N 81.5W 85 KT 100 MPH...INLAND
60H 11/0000Z 29.1N 78.4W 65 KT 75 MPH...OVER WATER
72H 11/1200Z 29.7N 74.9W 55 KT 65 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
96H 12/1200Z 30.4N 67.9W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
120H 13/1200Z 31.8N 60.6W 35 KT 40 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

This dang thing has surprised the weather community. My opinion, the hits will keep on coming. To think, all of a sudden, it's gonna act like any other hurricane in gulf, is probably not a wise thought.

Back