• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 2)

Indeed, this was one quite unique storm in that respect! At the closest approach of the center, which was on land, I think it was already down to strong TS strength. But it was the buildup of several days of swell coming in to this area on NE winds combined with southeasterly TS force winds that did it. I honestly didn't expect the surge to exceed Matthew. Now for the record, some areas weren't higher than Matthew as Ft. Pulaski was actually a few inches lower than Matthew.

It was very interesting how the water kept building. You can see by looking at how high the low tides ran for days in Charleston Harbor kept building and building before Monday. Amazing that Charleston's 3rd highest storm surge (behind Hugo and a 1942 hurricane that hit around Beaufort) will be for a storm passing 200+ miles to the west.

I finally have internet again! Xfinity just randomly went out around 9pm Monday night and was out until sometime this morning. I woke up around 7:30 and saw it was back on.I got to keep power at my house, but I had to lose internet instead. lol Oh well, it was the better trade off anyway.

I'll have to backtrack some pages, but I'm glad to see and hear everyone made it through Irma ok. I still haven't really been outside a whole lot since Irma came through, but from what I have seen my neighborhood didn't have any wind damage, but I know of adjacent neighborhoods that did. It was still a rough and wild Monday regardless.
My xfinity was out as well. It was back up around 7 last night though. Also kept power

We're still without power (40 hours and counting) (along with thousands of other people in our county). At the peak of the storm, 98% of the county was out of power. The University recorded a peak gust of 78mph, and there was an unofficial report of 106 locally. For anyone that wants to say that this storm "under performed", come up here to Lumpkin county and I'll let you use my chainsaw to get the full experience of storm cleanup.

We're still without power (40 hours and counting) (along with thousands of other people in our county). At the peak of the storm, 98% of the county was out of power. The University recorded a peak gust of 78mph, and there was an unofficial report of 106 locally. For anyone that wants to say that this storm "under performed", come up here to Lumpkin county and I'll let you use my chainsaw to get the full experience of storm cleanup.
Wow and thanks for the update! Hope all returns to normal as soon as possible, praying for electricity.

Hope you get life back to normal, very, very, soon.
You are in one of the most beautiful, hidden places in the world!
Any reports on wind a tad up the road at Neel Gap? Was there and hunkered during Opal and it was horrible; those mountains have a way of channeling gusts and radically increasing speed.
Again - take care and God's speed on recovery!
Best!
Phil

Last edited:
Hope you get life back to normal, very, very, soon.
You are in one of the most beautiful, hidden places in the world!
Any reports on wind a tad up the road at Neel Gap? Was there and hunkered during Opal and it was horrible; those mountains have a way of channeling gusts and radically increasing speed.
Again - take care and God's speed on recovery!
Best!
Phi
We do love it up here! I haven't heard any official reports up towards Neel's Gap, but from the reports I've gotten, Hall and Lumpkin counties took the worst of the damage. I'm guessing the rumored 106 report was likely up that way. I can't imagine being up there during Opal. That was the only storm in my memory to think about being like this.

We al all lucky I think that she weakened enough to avoid what could have been a pure historicly tragic event... Maybe Donald needs to rethink the Cuba deal, since that interaction saved a lot of us from some major grief.

We al all lucky I think that she weakened enough to avoid what could have been a pure historicly tragic event... Maybe Donald needs to rethink the Cuba deal, since that interaction saved a lot of us from some major grief.

I imagine it would had turned north sooner if that had happened though putting it overland for a longer period of time. It also might have put us on the left side of the storm. Just my thoughts there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember how the GFS had Irma strengthen to a 880-890 something mb storm on many runs as it hit S FL and even on earlier runs hitting SC/NC, which would have been 50 mb stronger than the lowest on record there (Hazel)? As we know, it was way off to the tune of 40 MBs when coming into Marco Island. IF the GFS does this again on its own among the major models, I recommend that folks not take its storm pressures seriously.

Thanks, Tony. I was very worried for several days about the possibility of a devastating hit. We've been quite lucky for a long time! They'll never be ready for that extreme scenario. But as long as evacuations are done properly, at least the danger to lives would be kept to a minimum.
Sorry to be so long getting back, Larry. It looks like the next one has drawn a bead on Sav/Charleston early in the runs. I'm not sure how well evacuation works unless it's called well in advance. Too many two lane roads to clog up, and people could get caught on the roads, and being in a car with 100 mph per winds is not a good move. The smart thing is to build back with much sturdier construction, but they don't do that in mass, and Sav. hasn't had any big hits to make them build back at all. Same with so many areas. It's a real quandary as to what do do, since forecasting is still hit and miss until almost too late to get on the roads in the many thousands. Smart money says don't build near the ocean, and where you do build, build it tough. To late to do anything now. Have to think about it after the Cat 5 destroys every thing, like in the Virgin Islands...but will the money be there to build back strong enough to survive 200 mph winds? It's like 500 year floods..few worry about them until they are up to their necks on the second floor, as it all washes out from under them. I guess the bottom line is it's hard to save stupid and complacent. Anyone building in a flood plain needs to be examined, lol....and many do get examined..... in the morgue. Nature don't mess around, and 500 years is nothing to nature. Not for a flood, or a hurricane.
Glad you were spared the worst it could have been, as did most of Ga.

I got my power back after 6 hours. My friend, 2 tenths of a mile away didn't get hers back until yesterday, and many on the south side are still out. Pocket outages hurt the worst, as your neighbors have power and you don't. Just kind of rubs it in. Hang in there. T

I got my power back after 6 hours. My friend, 2 tenths of a mile away didn't get hers back until yesterday, and many on the south side are still out. Pocket outages hurt the worst, as your neighbors have power and you don't. Just kind of rubs it in. Hang in there. T
We're still hanging in there. Talked to the crew working on our outage this morning. They came from Arkansas and have been all over Georgia helping out. They had some pretty major damage to still repair, but hoping to get it back today.

Back