• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Only a single life was lost to the floods in Chimney Rock/Lake Lure and all have been accounted for according to Rutherford County Government. Absolutely incredible news.
Sadly the woman who died was actually from Gaffney staying in her vacation home in Chimney Rock because she was having to travel to Asheville for the doctor due to back issues. She really shouldn't have even been there in the first place.

As you said, even a few more weeks adds up to a month, still devastating to businesses that were not already destroyed by the flood.
That's just 1 reservoir also. There are 2 others damaged. Also I was told there is over 800 feet of pipe that need to be replaced through the county. And they can't turn the water on because it will damage the system because of the crap that's washed into the reservoirs. If they don't do something quick this is going to be a humanitarian crisis. Forget businesses they are still digging dead people out of the debris. Very devastating and sad. There is really no balance at this point. It's survival mode for a lot of people.

Hey Met1985 you know me under a different moniker elsewhere ;) I will post this here also. A very good summary of the current situation with the water system:

Good news out of Rutherford County, all missing people have been accouted for. Sadly, three people lost there lives.

Hey Met1985 you know me under a different moniker elsewhere ;) I will post this here also. A very good summary of the current situation with the water system:

Good news out of Rutherford County, all missing people have been accouted for. Sadly, three people lost there lives.
Lol good stuff. I read this after that some places are finally seeing water make it into there communities. This is definitely great news and hopefully it will just get as the days go by.

17 days after the storm and the State of NC still cant produce a comprehensive list of the amount of missing persons. I get that MP are reported to different agencies, Sheriffs, City/Town police, Red Cross etc. But like how hard is it to get everyone's list, put into a excel sheet, use auto sum an cross check repeat names to narrow down. Then double back and welfare check the address's one more time. Has anyone seen an update on this subject last several days? I could be missing it but unfortunately the news cycles have dropped off so much outside the region have no clue.

I was able to get on App and sugar webcams, didn't notice anything unusual. Surprised no slide or washout evidence. Cant get on Beech, summit. Tree damage shouldn't be an issue as slopes are obviously cleared out of trees. Believe Beech has Nov 29th as target opening day

Back