• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

They are restricting access to a lot of areas because its completely unsafe to be in those areas, there is no infrastructure, no communications, the last thing they want or need is a lot of people who do not know the land trying to "help" by getting stuck or in a situation that requires them to divert much need resources. Its tough to coordinate efforts when you do not have control of every aspect of that effort, this is why they want to have everyone go through the system they have set up. People mean well but when they have random helicopters flying around or people driving around getting lost or stuck and having to be pulled out it interferes with the effort.

It was the same during Floyd, I remember a specific case where they stopped a guy who was trying to launch a jet ski to help, they made sure they had his information and that he was given a radio so he could be in contact with the HQ and other rescue teams etc...if they had not had a spare radio he would not have been allowed to go out. Right now there is zero focus on anything more than finding everyone still cutoff that are running low on meds and food and water and getting them out.

I don't have velocity numbers but I know the discharge on rivers across the regions were incredible. For example the South Toe's discharge hit 18,400 cubic ft/sec before the sensor went down. It could have easily peaked in the 20-30k range. For those who aren't familiar with discharge, it's the volume of water flowing through a river at a given time. To put this in perspective, the Potomac at DC averages ~11,000 cfs, and the Hudson at NYC is ~20,000 cfs. I can't find any sensors near Chimney Rock but at a glance the South Toe and Broad look similar in size. You basically had the equivalent of the Hudson River flowing through that tight valley which is mind-boggling.

Here is the Nolichucky (drainage from the Toe river) - 88200 cubic feet per second at peak flow. That's crazy stupid flooding.

I read that FEMA disaster assistance was paying out to those with food spoilage losses due to very long power outages. This has nothing to do with the NFIP. This doesn’t sound right but I was asked to find out. Does anyone know?
Heard this reported on WWNC 🙂

Greenville County Schools closed Monday
7 th school day missed so far
They also posted a great video today on FB of them riding around assessing damage and the determining factors for when school goes back . Greenville County Schools on FB
It also shows the scope of damage in Greenville county

Heard this reported on WWNC 🙂

Thank you! I called FEMA.

-Since March, FEMA has been paying $750 for food losses from storms. Must be done within 30 days of storm. Has nothing to do with whether you have NFIP.

-For those in GA who are wondering, FEMA confirmed residents in certain counties in GA (including mine) can apply.

-Fulton/Dekalb not on list (at least yet), but Richmond is ( @GeorgiaGirl ) as well as many others. You can still apply before your county is on list just in case it gets added later.

-For all states call 800-621-3362 or apply online at http://disasterassistance.gov/ and click on the red. On phone they’ll tell you if your county is on list.

- I think power had to be out 3 days but don’t hold me to that

-Supposedly most get the $750 if power was out long enough. It is all or nothing.

-If denied, can appeal

Back