• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Is there anyway to even rebuild some of these roads or towns? Like chimney rock, where do you build when on both sides are steep eroded slopes and what was once buildable collapsed into the river
Environmental agencies are going to want to claim some of these new river beds. River flow has changed. In many cases you won’t be able to rebuild your home or rebuild a road. If you sailed over on the Mayflower and sent out an expedition into WNC to find a place to build a town, would you choose one of these places if the landscape looked the way it did right now? We saw a thousand years worth of landscape alteration in a couple hours

Did nhc ever come out and explain why they went against modeling and made such a bad forecast the day before the storm?
it will be months, if not years. suffice to say there will be plenty of studies on this storm that will leave no stone unturned regarding synoptics, intensification, mountain meteorology, ull interaction, quantifying how much climate change juiced this, communication/messaging, etc. it's the kind of event my old synoptic professor would assign as a capstone event to analyze. but for now i think it would be in bad taste for the nhc or anyone affiliated to be spitballing about what went wrong with the eastward tug. one disconnect is that the core became decoupled from the actual LLC center as it trudged inland, so the forecast may have "technically" been alright but tell that to people in spartanburg.
@ Met1985, How did the area from Cullowhee back up to Highlands/Cashiers then down to Dillsboro fare? The Tuskegee River. I saw that area river flood with mini icebergs post 1993 Superstorm. Can't imagine it did any better from this. Rural area back up to Highlands/Cashiers from Cullowhee
i'm also interested in this. growing up when my fam went to the mountains we would take 74 the entire way from wilmington to dillsboro and stay at the best western on the river. fond memories of waking up and screwing around on the bank and waving to the rafters. growing up i was also a big train guy and we would take the train from dillsboro that traced along the tuckasegee (forget the terminus). i really love that area, doing random "gem mining", driving along that highway with all the waterfalls around franklin. my first guess is that they had bad but not unprecedented flooding based on where the core of helene wound up.
Helli's being turned away, no reason giving. Glenn covers this subject about private Helli's being shewed away and unfortunately all those here-says are true. Dont understand why, Hellis are your ambulance service next several months at minimum.
don't want to wade too far into this arena but I've read that the air traffic in the mountains is substantial, someone compared it jokingly to Newark. i know the private hellis are well meaning but this is probably a precaution so the airspace isn't so clogged up

The flood maps will be redrawn throughout the region over the next few years. It's a pretty simple solution really and much like the coast. Houses will be constructed higher or not at all in some areas because the cost of flood insurance will discourage the market. The goverment doesn't need to come in and take anything, by reclassifying flood prone areas they effectively are able to do that, it just plays out over a longer period of time. The 500 year flood line will probably be the 100 year flood line now.

I've already started a few projects up there for the local government(free of charge) redesigning culverts that have been blown out. Everything will be upsized now and designed better moving forward. The infrastructure will improve, not dissappear.

Looking at the sat imagery its clear that geologically speaking this level of flooding has not happened in a very very long time, definitely thousands if not 10's of thousands of years. There will be no rebuilding in many of these locations, they will have to literally start new versions of these towns where they can find suitable land which typically is found in valleys alongside streams and rivers etc...

It completely changed river channels, essentially the river now runs through what was the main strip in Chimney Rock, saw other examples on this when looking at Sat comparisons from a couple weeks ago, so it’s not an isolated case. And the velocity needed to love those boulders is just nuts, I have a chart laying around somewhere on water velocities required to move different objects, basically everything from sediment particles up through VW but sized boulders, if I can find it I’ll post it.

It completely changed river channels, essentially the river now runs through what was the main strip in Chimney Rock, saw other examples on this when looking at Sat comparisons from a couple weeks ago, so it’s not an isolated case. And the velocity needed to love those boulders is just nuts, I have a chart laying around somewhere on water velocities required to move different objects, basically everything from sediment particles up through VW but sized boulders, if I can find it I’ll post it.

Yeah when they say unprecedented, they mean literally unprecedented...while I grew up and live in eastern NC my grandfather is from the mts of NC/VA and we spent weeks every year up there. Chimney Rock was always the first place we went, its hard to imagine something as timeless and old as those mts being able to be so drastically altered in a single day...we were actually suppose to go up this coming week for a few days to stay with my in laws at their campsite in Cherokee but they left last week before the storm and obviously are not going back anytime soon.

I might be overdramatic but the impacts to of Helene to WNC might end up being worst than Katrina overall, way worse, given the previous statements earlier and just the topography of the area making cleaning up and rebuilding/building new infrastructure difficult to say the least.

it will be months, if not years. suffice to say there will be plenty of studies on this storm that will leave no stone unturned regarding synoptics, intensification, mountain meteorology, ull interaction, quantifying how much climate change juiced this, communication/messaging, etc. it's the kind of event my old synoptic professor would assign as a capstone event to analyze. but for now i think it would be in bad taste for the nhc or anyone affiliated to be spitballing about what went wrong with the eastward tug. one disconnect is that the core became decoupled from the actual LLC center as it trudged inland, so the forecast may have "technically" been alright but tell that to people in spartanburg.

i'm also interested in this. growing up when my fam went to the mountains we would take 74 the entire way from wilmington to dillsboro and stay at the best western on the river. fond memories of waking up and screwing around on the bank and waving to the rafters. growing up i was also a big train guy and we would take the train from dillsboro that traced along the tuckasegee (forget the terminus). i really love that area, doing random "gem mining", driving along that highway with all the waterfalls around franklin. my first guess is that they had bad but not unprecedented flooding based on where the core of helene wound up.

don't want to wade too far into this arena but I've read that the air traffic in the mountains is substantial, someone compared it jokingly to Newark. i know the private hellis are well meaning but this is probably a precaution so the airspace isn't so clogged up
That’s all fine. But this wasn’t an unexplainable or unexpected miss… the llc tracked exactly where the model consensus showed it going the day before.

It was the NHC who went out on a proverbial limb and defied modeling to show it tracking so far to the west.

Also please don’t confuse me asking about this with respect to whether or not people were adequately warned or not. This is just a pure meteorological forecasting question I’d like to see answered. For normal people I agree it didn’t or shouldn’t have made much difference in their preparation. And the nws offices did a great job beating the drum as hard as they could to warn people, imo.

Last edited:
I’m not down playing this event, but I don’t think Katrina is an accurate comparison in either a human scale or metrogogical way.

Katrina was a disaster of engineering and storm surge.

Helene was a complex storm that combined with another weather event, to make it much worse, along with the geography of the mountains.

I’d more compare the event to:

1. 2015 SC floods
2. 2009 Atlanta floods
3. 2016 (maybe 17) floods in West Virginia
4. 2016 baton rogue floods
5. Even Harvey and the flooding of Houston

All of these events make more sense than Katrina

Back