• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Also not to sound like I know everything because I don't but I'm here in the thick of it. I live in Haywood county. I've not had power or water in over a week. I've got friends who's lost there homes and businesses I've seen firsthand. I've seen the devastation up front. I'm living this hell out here in WNC. This is not fun and it's pretty freaking frustrating and extremely sad for everyone affected by this devastation. I've got property damage as well but nothing catastrophic thank God. I know that we will need help but currently we just need essential personnel to not clog up main roads, back roads and impeding in the cleanup. Kind of like too many people in one area and not enough room for everyone. Just be patient and keep up to date. A great radio station to listen to here from Asheville is 99.9 kiss county. They've been doing updates on things 24/7.

Last edited:
There are folks who not only lost their Non flood insured home. They also lost the parcel of property it sat on as well as their transportation vehicles. Not out of question their place of employment.
The river bed from Bat Cave to Lake Lure area cleared out everything. Like a lahore from a volcano

Also not to sound like I know everything because I don't but I'm here in the thick of it. I live in Haywood county. I've not had power or water in over a week. I've got friends who's lost there homes and businesses I've seen firsthand. I've seen the devastating up front. I'm living this hell out here in WNC. This is not fun and it's pretty freaking frustrating and extremely sad for everyone affected by this devastation. I've got property damage as well but nothing catastrophic thank God. I know that we will need help but currently we just need essential personnel to not clog up main roads, back roads and impeding in the cleanup. Kind of like too many people in one area and not enough room for everyone. Just be patient and keep up to dare. A great radio station to listen to here from Asheville is 99.9 kiss county. They've been doing updates on things 24/7.
Been listening to WWNC on the iHeart radio app all week.

@ Met1985, How did the area from Cullowhee back up to Highlands/Cashiers then down to Dillsboro fare? The Tuskegee River. I saw that area river flood with mini icebergs post 1993 Superstorm. Can't imagine it did any better from this. Rural area back up to Highlands/Cashiers from Cullowhee

@ Met1985, How did the area from Cullowhee back up to Highlands/Cashiers then down to Dillsboro fare? The Tuskegee River. I saw that area river flood with mini icebergs post 1993 Superstorm. Can't imagine it did any better from this. Rural area back up to Highlands/Cashiers from Cullowhee
Honestly I'm really not sure how that area faired. I know basically from North Jackson north and east got hit the worst. I've got people up in Madison County, Hendersonville, Buncombe, Boone area, and I've got connections to the federal government who have pulled multiple bodies from rubble and flood sections. Stuff we haven't even heard about yet. Just devastating stuff.

Yeah they have really been on it. They are Buncombe county specific but are trying to get everything in from across the area. The whole bunch have been life saviors since a lot of people don't have cell service.
Yesterday I was listening round 1PM when their power was turned back on. They went to talk to the linemen and they were from Quebec.

I hope this rethinks the way we think about radio in society.

Cold Front May Impact Helene Relief Efforts in North Carolina

"Some locations in the mountains may dip into the 30s. Warm clothes will be needed for relief efforts in western North Carolina."

Pereira warned that temperatures that low would be "problematic" for anyone who might be exposed to the elements in the wake of the storm's devastation. Pereira said the coldest temperatures will likely occur on Tuesday.

Cold Front May Impact Helene Relief Efforts in North Carolina

"Some locations in the mountains may dip into the 30s. Warm clothes will be needed for relief efforts in western North Carolina."

Pereira warned that temperatures that low would be "problematic" for anyone who might be exposed to the elements in the wake of the storm's devastation. Pereira said the coldest temperatures will likely occur on Tuesday.

Yeah we are watching this as well. Being in October brings new problems with all this as well. Cooler to colder temps. Daytime is nice but night time can be brutal especially with no power or any heating devices.

Did nhc ever come out and explain why they went against modeling and made such a bad forecast the day before the storm?
I have seen anything yet, but I’m guessing there will be something in the storm case study when it’s released. Let me say that as critical as I have been about the NHC forecast of the storm track, I don’t believe it made a big difference in the amount of rainfall and flooding experienced in WNC. I do think that it was a big deal for people in the Augusta area and NE GA and SC Upstate… those areas experienced a direct hit from what was left of the storm’s eyewall, something that by the NHC tracks should have happened a good 100+ miles west

Did nhc ever come out and explain why they went against modeling and made such a bad forecast the day before the storm?
I'm sure they will come out with a report. Probably has something to do with the other low being further east than first forecast. I know our local NWS GSP did one hell of a job and the local meteorologist out of WLOS. They used very strong language and hammered home this was going to be a very dangerous and deadly situation. We had a pretty long lead time here as well. People were talking about this storm the weekend before and by Monday everyone new this might just be a historical event. Our local Mayor Zeb Smathers was already warning the people in Canton Monday and getting the town cleaned up before the flooding hit.

He's spot on. This will be the most costliest US disaster $$ wise ever. It will dwarf all others
People don’t think of all the utilities that run up and down the roads. Road washes out, utilities gone. All roads wash out, all utilities gone. You can’t run utilities where there is no dirt. You can’t run utilities in what is now a rock river bed. Logistically impossible. You can bring all fiber/coax/power in above ground if you must, but with water and sewer that’s not an option. It’s a disaster zone. Gonna need dirt, and a lot of it.

People don’t think of all the utilities that run up and down the roads. Road washes out, utilities gone. All roads wash out, all utilities gone. You can’t run utilities where there is no dirt. You can’t run utilities in what is now a rock river bed. Logistically impossible. You can bring all fiber/coax/power in above ground if you must, but with water and sewer that’s not an option. It’s a disaster zone. Gonna need dirt, and a lot of it.
Is there anyway to even rebuild some of these roads or towns? Like chimney rock, where do you build when on both sides are steep eroded slopes and what was once buildable collapsed into the river

Looking at the sat imagery its clear that geologically speaking this level of flooding has not happened in a very very long time, definitely thousands if not 10's of thousands of years. There will be no rebuilding in many of these locations, they will have to literally start new versions of these towns where they can find suitable land which typically is found in valleys alongside streams and rivers etc...

Get a chance Glenn Beck Radio program a Good listen today. Telling,Sobering.

He said it was 9/12 Part 2. Local folks +Folks coming in to help. American Grit Spirit on full display. Ill caution ahead ,Govt whole other subject.

We sent alot of packaging materials now twice for releif collection ,logistics. Being run over to Statesville by guys getting goods up that way. A lot of nascar guys volunteering Helli's,Trailers to assist. Guys we are helping echoed whats being reported on social media, that private Helli's being turned away, no reason giving. Glenn covers this subject about private Helli's being shewed away and unfortunately all those here-says are true. Dont understand why, Hellis are your ambulance service next several months at minimum.
I grew up in mtns from age 5 -11 and College. Kid went through school up there. Had blessing of visiting every public school back in late 90s early 00's with work. So to echoe Jimmy ,folks and places are speacil. People are what makes a community. The awesome resources and scenery are just added bonuses. Heart bleeds for the lost ones and the ones who survived and lost a lot, everything.

Back