• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

I saw a lot of this with fran around where I lived. It was crazy and based on the fact the trees were in the same direction I don't think it was a tornado

Same here in Fran...however I watched with my own eyes what was for lack of a better term a mesovortex tear through the woods right beside my house during the eyewall of Bertha we could follow a clear path for a quarter mile where every single tree was downed...we actually saw what looked like a tornado come out of the woods and cross the field before entering the woods again. So do these count as tornados or not lol...it was not in a band but rather the inner north eyewall right as we were going into the eye.

Could such features still occur in systems that long after landfall...I mean Bertha here was a actual cane still with a clear eye....but Helene was far from thar in SC though there was still a rem eyewall feature.

Same here in Fran...however I watched with my own eyes what was for lack of a better term a mesovortex tear through the woods right beside my house during the eyewall of Bertha we could follow a clear path for a quarter mile where every single tree was downed...we actually saw what looked like a tornado come out of the woods and cross the field before entering the woods again. So do these count as tornados or not lol...it was not in a band but rather the inner north eyewall right as we were going into the eye.

Could such features still occur in systems that long after landfall...I mean Bertha here was a actual cane still with a clear eye....but Helene was far from thar in SC though there was still a rem eyewall feature.

Yeap I was just east of the eye in Cape Carteret when it came ashore and there were wooded lots with every tree flattened. The eye cleared out just before landfall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere back around mid last week, before the PRE event set in, someone here rightly predicted that the mountains would sustain catastrophic damage and be worse off than everywhere other than the direct hit on coastline.

I wish I had the time to go back and find that comment in this thread.

Interesting take on flood control.

In 1933, the Tennessee Valley Authority was given the mandate for flood control in the valley of the Tennessee River and its tributaries. Over the next 40 years, they built 49 dams, which, for the most part, accomplished their goal. Whereas floods in the Tennessee were once catastrophic, younger people are mostly unaware of them.The French Broad River (Asheville) is an upstream tributary where flood control dams weren't constructed due to local opposition. Rather than the devastation of Hurricane Helene on Asheville illustrating the effect of climate change, the success of the flood control dams in other sectors of the Tennessee Valley illustrates the success of the TVA flood control program where it is implemented. Hurricane Helene did not show the effect of climate change, but what happens to settlements in Tennessee Valley tributaries under "natural" flooding (i.e. where flood control dams have been rejected.)

Hard to compare at this point. When they are done recovering bodies this could be far worse. Recovering people in a mountain environment is more difficult
Yeah that’s what I mean. Yancey County is one of the most rugged counties east of the Mississippi River. Even with all the manpower and equipment in the world, if the infrastructure is significantly broken, your modes of transportation move backward to the 19th century.

Yeah that’s what I mean. Yancey County is one of the most rugged counties east of the Mississippi River. Even with all the manpower and equipment in the world, if the infrastructure is significantly broken, your modes of transportation move backward to the 19th century.
Right now they need helicopters on top of helicopters and then some more

Back